NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to go for observing with new telescope ?

golu14

i got a new telescope but i live in a super urban city with only major planets visible

im a member of a local astronomy club but their observation site is 5 driving hours away.

so where do i go to observe? i know a countryside which is about 2-3 hours away with great skies too but i dont have a 'place' there, i would have to just go on a random piece of land and set everything up there, that place has some population too.

should i just go there and set up my scope wherever ? is it safe enough ?

thanks in advance! (:

Only you can confirm the security of the place you want to go , i would suggest that you go with company and let somebody know how long you expect to be there and a eta for arrival home.

Are there any landowners you could contact rather than just turn up ??

Hi and welcome to SGL from the UK.

A dark site would be nice, but a long trip would quickly get tedious.

However, a lot can be seen from a light polluted town.

Apart from planets, the moon and double stars show up well under a poor sky.   I'm a double star fan, and get as much pleasure hunting them down from my light polluted back garden as chasing the faint stuff from a dark site.

Saves a fortune on petrol as well  :laugh:

Regards, Ed.

There are dark skies, and there are dark skies. My darkest sky is probably 2-3 hours away, but i settle for a compromise of darker skies than i have at home, but a manageable drive. Have a good look on the light pollution maps to find an area which is nearer and has better dark skies. Ideally don't go alone. And never trespass. as someone has said, try and identify who the land owner is and ask their permission, else failing that you'll just have to find a public car park, but if it's anything like england, you have have to share it with either boy racers, or other activities which will make your lens steam over!

Else get into imaging and do narrow band imaging from home and ignore the light pollution.

Just be safe and legal.

James

Archived