NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Surogate Continuum

Okeydokey

I am so new to this but... on my refractor detailed in sig. can I use a UV/IR cutter and #58 green for solar viewing and still make a saving over the Baader Continuum?

The front end is sorted re: Baader N5 film etc.

Many thanks

I have the continuum filter and it does indeed bring out a bit more detail.  It does come at the expense of having to look at it in green though.

Much the same can be said for using UHC filters on nebulas I guess.

I hear that a wratten #58 is the alternative to the more expensive dedicated continuum filter.

I have the same approach ... :p 

I think you'll be disappointed with the Continuum , the small detail gain is not really worth the £50 in my opinion ,  or £100 for the 2" version that I  need / don't need ....  :grin:

I think that a #56 might do a bit but the Yellower #11 will not do much detail-wise but could be a little easier on the brain , personally I much prefer the "Whitelight" view ...  :rolleyes:

Better to save for a Hershel Wedge for the best Whitelight visual experience.

I think this may be one of those 'your mileage may vary' things. I love the Baader solar continuum filter. I had a light green filter before and the BSC filter blows it away completely to my eyes. You do need a bright view to make it worth while though but if you have the right combination I think it works very well. I normally use a TV Pronto with a full aperture ND5 Baader solar film front end filter and then a Pentax XW 10mm with the BSC filter, so lots of light throughput and pretty sharp optics to start with. 

Archived