Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

did i see siriusis pup star last night

faulksy

i have heard a few disccusions on this site about sirius pup star so last night i had a look.

armed with my 9mm bgo i put serius in the centre of my fov, couldnt see anything,slewed accross so that sirius was just out side my field stop and i could see a star to the right of it, it wasnt in line with sirius it was either above or below cant remmember now, but it was about 4 sirius diameters out. do you think i saw it. should also say it wasnt very bright, similar to polaris companion

bare in mind when i say it was to the right im using a sct

The charts shown in that link are accurate so, if the star you saw was in that position and around 8 arc seconds from Sirius A then it might well have been the Pup star.

As a guide to the separation, Rigel has a 9th magnitude companion star which is around the same distance from the brighter primary star that the Pup is from Sirius but the Rigel pair is a lot easier to split.

It's a good achievement to see the Pup star - I've only managed it with my 12" dob of all my scopes.

The charts shown in that link are accurate so, if the star you saw was in that position and around 8 arc seconds from Sirius A then it might well have been the Pup star.

As a guide to the separation, Rigel has a 9th magnitude companion star which is around the same distance from the brighter primary star that the Pup is from Sirius but the Rigel pair is a lot easier to split.

It's a good achievement to see the Pup star - I've only managed it with my 12" dob of all my scopes.

do you think I seen it then john from my description, and the culprits that I was on about discussing the pup was you and alan pots :grin:  

At the moment the Pup star lies just a little to the North of due East from Sirius A. I recall seeing it as a faintish pinpoint of light situated in the fringes of the scattered light from Sirius A and, in my undriven dob, trailing the bright star as it drifted across the field of view. The Pup came and went a bit as the seeing fluctuated as it's pretty low down when viewed from the UK.

Archived