Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any cases suitable for a Takahashi TSA 120?

I'm looking for a suitable hard case for my Takahashi TSA 120 and I wandered if anyone knows a suitable case that will keep it safely when I'm carrying it about.  I've browsed the internet and called some suppliers but no-one has been able to suggest anything.  Preferably I'd like an aluminium case, but would consider a good sturdy, and well padded soft case like a Tenba.  Please, if any fellow TSA 120 owners  (or anyone else!) out  there can let me know what you use, that would be very helpful.

The scope size is 87cm long x 16cm wide x 18cm deep.   Thanks, Paul.

Many thanks Nick.  I'll check out the Peli 1740.  I know they are very sturdy, it could be a good solution depending on actually how big and heavy it is.  I bought one of the TSA-120s that Takahashi have recently made with a factory fitted Feathertouch focuser.  I would think there's not much difference in size between mine and one fitted with the usual focuser.  many thanks again for your suggestion Nick.  Best regards, Paul.

I'd just like to thank all those who kindly responded to my posting.  I looked into all the options suggested, and all had their merits.  I was still wandering what to do until about a week ago when a solution came out of nowhere.  I was speaking to a friend on the phone, who has an Ostara 130mm f7 triplet.  My friend suggested the hard case he has for his scope may be ok for my 120 (I have the version with a factory fitted Feathertouch focuser).  The price of the case is in extra if you want one with the 130mm f7, but the cases are available even if you don't buy a scope.  Anyway, my friend measured the inside of the case ( 90cm long x 38 wide x 23 deep) which sounded just right. 

The scopes and cases are sold by Clearview Optics Ltd  www.clearviewbinoculars.co.uk of Barnsley.  They agreed to bring a case along to the Leeds Astromeet last Saturday where they had a stand and where I was going to attend anyway. 

I bought the case (£99) and when I arrived home tried the scope in the case and it fitted without having to trim any of the foam.  This was with my diagonal and finder removed for which there is plenty of room in the case.  With the diagonal still in place, there was too little room left at either end for my liking.  Great!

The quality of the case is similar to the SW, mostly black with silver coloured edges.  There is a handle at each end, but none along it's length - so it can't be lifted in one hand.  This is not a problem for me, I can hold the handles at either end to carry it, or put the whole case under one arm.  There are three catches and locks along it's length.

The case is just what I wanted, and suggest anyone looking for a case for their own TSA-120 take a look at this option.

Thanks again for all your help.  Regards, Paul

Archived