NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wide angle eyepiece

The Revelation 2" eyepieces that Telescope House sell are about as cheap as 2" eyepieces come. The 42mm has a 65 degree apparent field of view apparently so will show about as wide a field as a 2" eyepiece can, ie: about a 1 degree true field in your C11:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_42mm_Eyepiece_2__.html

It should work OK in an F/10 scope as a "finder" eyepiece. 

I have a 30mm XW which is good, but not cheap, i also have 31mm and 36mm Hyperion which to my eyes aren't much different to the XW but a good deal cheaper, i nothing but round stars, the Finder is consigned to the spares box and a Telrad does its job very well, a further improvement is a Starlight Feathertouch really makes a difference, around £200 from FLO that's  not a dollar/pound straight conversion like other sites i checked....

DSC_9900.jpg

DSC_9905.jpg

I have a 30mm XW which is good, but not cheap, i also have 31mm and 36mm Hyperion which to my eyes aren't much different to the XW but a good deal cheaper, i nothing but round stars, the Finder is consigned to the spares box and a Telrad does its job very well, a further improvement is a Starlight Feathertouch really makes a difference, around £200 from FLO that's  not a dollar/pound straight conversion like other sites i checked....

Do you find the Telrad finderscope stays in adjustment even if you remove it from the scope and re attach? It does look to be a lot sturdier than the supplied one which moves about too much in it's rubber o ring even when tightened down. This is the problem i am having. 

The Telrad when attached via its sticky base pads, is very firm, i don't remove it but it does stay aligned my Newt has 2 bases there either side of the focuser and more luck than judgement the bases were both aligned so i could swap the Telrad from one base to the other and it was aligned in either base requiring no adjusting.....

I noticed your mount is a AZ EQ6 GT, is this a better mount than the NEQ6 i will require a 2nd mount some time soon, i have been thinking about a EQ8 but reviews are pretty thin on the ground

It's an incredible mount. I don't have much experience of others as i am new to the hobby so to speak but i wouldn't swap it for the world. Tracks so smoothly.

Not sure about the Telrad now if it attaches with stickies as i have to detach my gear when finished and my scope goes in a bag bought from Teleskop services, not sure the finder would go in as well so that could be a slight problem for me, [removed word]!

It's an incredible mount. I don't have much experience of others as i am new to the hobby so to speak but i wouldn't swap it for the world. Tracks so smoothly.

Not sure about the Telrad now if it attaches with stickies as i have to detach my gear when finished and my scope goes in a bag bought from Teleskop services, not sure the finder would go in as well so that could be a slight problem for me, [removed word]!

Take the telrad off its base and leave the base, it doesn't stick out very much...

Souds good, will get one ordered from FLO then. Cheers!

You won't be sorry there a good bit of kit....the AA batteries never die, well mine have be in there a couple of years,,, :)

There are telrad maps to download there free ..Stellarium, Cartes du Ciel, has a the Telrad circles built in....

The Revelation 2" eyepieces that Telescope House sell are about as cheap as 2" eyepieces come. The 42mm has a 65 degree apparent field of view apparently so will show about as wide a field as a 2" eyepiece can, ie: about a 1 degree true field in your C11:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_42mm_Eyepiece_2__.html

It should work OK in an F/10 scope as a "finder" eyepiece. 

I'd go with this, a Panaview would be mid-budget and an XW would be high end.

Archived