NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomica Nebula UHC Filter

blinky

I have been wanting to get a Nebula filter for a while and got some Christmas money so decided to buy the UHC Nebula filter from Astronomica. Very quick delivery indeed!

The unit it a 1.25 filter supplied in a little case, no insert in the case though but thats no big deal, just a nice to have! This filter passes Hydrogen Alpha, Hydrogen Beta and Oxygen III.

Managed to get a wee shot with this last night on M42 (Orion Neb). With the filter in place I did not really notice any drop in overall illumination nor in background sky glow (I have to say that the kids bedroom light and the living room lights were on so I was not as dark adapted as I could be). I DID however notice the nebule 'jump out' more, a lot more actually, much better than the Neodymium filter! Also there seemed to be a bit more of a hint of green about as well. The best thing though was the increased level of detail in the nebula. Normally I can see the shape of the neb and the 'wings' etc but now I can start to see some small whisps in there as well!

Overall I was very impressed with this filter, much better than the Neodymium filter. I did not get a chance to image with this last night so that is next on the list. Also I had stopped using it before the moon came up so will also need to try it out on faint Nebula with moonlight.

Here is the transmission curve for those more technical than me!

post-13107-133877335215_thumb.gif

Cheers for the review Blinky. A nebula filter is on my list of things to buy this year although I must say I was considering a neodymium one as well.

Did you try out the filter in all your scopes and have similar findings?

I personally find it a lot better than the Neodymium filter! Although others are free to differ :rolleyes: The Neo may not work with me as I live in Edinburgh and a lot of the old yellow sodium streetlights have already been replaced.

Archived