NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Compact Binoculars... Are They Any Good?

Hi all!

This is my first post on this site, sorry if this is in the wrong place! Right so I'm in the market for some binoculars. I've been borrowing a pair of Leica 10x42 bins of my parents and they are absolutely fantastic for viewing the night sky. Now unfortunately can't keep borrowing their bins so I've done some searching around for a good pair of binoculars. I've been looking at compact binoculars mainly the Leica range. This due to the enjoyment of using my parents Leica bins which give a much clearer view than a friends bins which are the same in terms of power but the Leica bins are far better. My question to you is, are compact bins any good? I was looking at something in the region of 8x20 in the Leica range.

Thank you for your answers guys!

In a word, no. The leica compacts are about as good as 8x20s can get (Swarovski also make some pretty nifty bins in this size too), but they'll be blown out of the water by far cheaper bins with larger objectives. Are you after a pair specifically for astronomy or for daytime viewing as well?

In which case you're probably best off with something in the 8-10x42 range. I use 8x42s and find them a joy to use... but if you got on well with the 10x then the extra mag might be nice when night falls! I even recently tried a friends 8x30 Swarovskis, and whilst excellent for day time viewing the difference for astronomy was astounding... my 8x42s were CONSIDERABLY brighter. Typically for astronomy, the 'standard issue' as it were is often something around the 15x50/60 range, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them for daytime observing. Of course it all comes down to budget now :grin:

Hi Sark, welcome to SGL.

+1 for a pair of good quality 8x42's.

I have a pair of Helios Nirvana ED 8x42's and love them. http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Helios8x42Nirvanna-ED-98.htm  For about £220 the ED glass gives you pinsharp stars with no false colour (CA) and you dont feel you have to keep re-focussing. A wide field of view that's really useful for starhopping and planning. Magnesium framed and so at 680g they're really easy to hold steady so you see stars rather than 'fireflies', not too heavy to hang round your neck all night.... lots of positives. 8x42's aren't going to show you all the faint fuzzies and deep sky stuff but that's why we have scopes! I have had some cracking nights out with just these bins and a star map.

If you're used to Leicas then you'll have set the bar quite high, so you might want to try a few pairs out before you buy...  

Steve Tonkin's BinocularSky website is great starting place for everything bin-related  http://binocularsky.com/

All the best,

Guys, 

Thank you all for your replies to my post! I like the links people have been posting, I've had a quick glance at them all and looks like I have some research to do! Crebles, I think your right when you say I've set the bar high with Leica bins, I must admit its always a disappointment to drop them back off with my parents for when they go bird watching. By the looks of what people have been saying, 8x42 bins seem to be the way forward! 

Thanks again guys, its nice to be welcomed to a forum and not be belittled like you do on other forums! 

The great thing is you'll get to try loads out before you buy too! A trip to your local RSPB reserve (or similar, don't want to be showing favouritism :grin:) is a great way to try out binoculars in their visitor centres... the range is usually pretty good too. You have been cursed and blessed by being able to use your parents Leicas... I should know, I went with good intentions of spending up to £500 on upgrading my bins and walked out with a pair of Zeiss Victories :eek:.

Let us know how you get on (I'm sure you'll have plenty of thinking to do)... First light reports with new equipment are always welcome here!

clear skies,

Andy

For daytime use compact binoculars are fine, my 8x20 ultravids out perform my 8x56 ED Savannah's for quality and sharpness across the field of view and you can slip them in your pocket and forget their there but once the light drops it's a different story and for astro use small binoculars are a non starter, another thing to consider is compact bino's usually have a smaller field of view.

Mel

Yup, I have Leicas 10x25 and 8x42. As above, the little ones are fantasic for their size and great in the daytime but they are not astronomical binoculars. Too little aperture. While the 8x42s are gloriously perfect you can, to be honest, get awfully close with far cheaper instruments.

10x or 8x is a moot point. As I've grown older I've found myself much more comfortable with 8x. If you can try both magnifications I'd do so.

Olly

Guys, 

Thank you all for your replies to my post! I like the links people have been posting, I've had a quick glance at them all and looks like I have some research to do! Crebles, I think your right when you say I've set the bar high with Leica bins, I must admit its always a disappointment to drop them back off with my parents for when they go bird watching. By the looks of what people have been saying, 8x42 bins seem to be the way forward! 

Thanks again guys, its nice to be welcomed to a forum and not be belittled like you do on other forums! 

Why not get you parents a nice new pair for birdwatching (I'm guessing that pair would be less exacting than those needed for astronomy) and see if you can keep the Leica's on long term loan! Christmas is coming up....!

Ha how I wish I could keep their Leicas! They both have the same model, my mum has 10x42 where as my dad has 8x42. Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply, some very useful information to read through! :D 

Thanks again! 

Archived