NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Strange Artifacts

Alien 13

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Olly says, best to just take flats at not bother trying to clean it, could end up making it worse.If you know someone with a copy of Astronomy Image Processing by Berry/Bell there is a formula for working out where in the imaging train the dust bunnies are based on how many pixels they cover I think.

Dave

Its an intersting point about flats as far as correcting FOV errors and gradients i find i can get better results using software like PS this leaves the dust bunny problem, my camera has auto sensor cleaning that i forget to switched off sometimes which only makes the flats useful for one session or part session.

Alan

If they're just in the sky you can clone stamp them out in PS. even if there's a star in one you can move the star, stamp out the dust bunny and replace the star, probably doesn't stand up to close inspection if zoomed in but good enough for viewing on screen.

Dave

If they're just in the sky you can clone stamp them out in PS. even if there's a star in one you can move the star, stamp out the dust bunny and replace the star, probably doesn't stand up to close inspection if zoomed in but good enough for viewing on screen.

Dave

The gradient technique i use gets rid of the dust bunnies too but those self cleaning sensors do make it impossible to use flats sometimes because every time you switch the camera on you get a new pattern.

Alan

Archived