Synscan Help!

So when the mount is powered on, you can slew to whereever you want, at any speed you want?

But if you want to do a star alignment, after selecting the first star, the mount refuses to slew?

That sounds odd.

Can you slew normally in both RA and Dec axes?

Ideally you should start the alignment process from the home position, but initially for you with this problem it shouldn't make a jot of difference where the mount is pointing if it won't slew at all whilst trying to align.

It is difficult to comment if it is a user error without seeing exactly what you are doing, but i'd have thought even if you were inputting totally illogical date, time, coordinates etc it would still slew somewhere.

Is there sufficient power getting to the mount? Can you manually slew both axes at once outside of the alignment process?

I think you need to communicate with the person who sold it to you.

James

This is exactly right. I can slew in both ra and dec axis manually. And as soon as i do a star alignment, no movement.

And i was of the same assumption that regardless if my home position wasn't exact, it would try and slew somewhere!

But as i have said i will try and do it properly outdoors as soon as i have time and a clear night, although I'm feeling i will be wasting my time. Will make a video of what happens for anybody willing to take a look :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in Crewe and yes I've had daylight savings set to no now...

It is functional because i can move the scope with the handset before i do any alignment. Once i start the alignment process it wont skew at all, manually or automatically.

On the basis that it works there i can only put this down to a few possible causes

1 the firmware was knackered. So I've tried to solve it by restoring to factory settings and installed latest firmware

2 the scope isn't drawing enough power. I'm just using a power supply off the mains. I know someone with a power tank that I'm going to borrow

3 its a user error of some sort. Although i think I've nailed all of that down with the amount of research I've done!

Going to have a look for an astro society in the area and take the scope along to see if anyone has any pointers. There are a few in the area i believe

Maybe post the same question in the mount section.

"Mount will slew normally with the handset before a star alignment, but as soon as enter star alignment and select the first star, the mount won't slew...."

- - - -

Have you tried pressing enter when it eventually thinks it's at the first star, and keep doing this until it's done all the stars, though it probably says "alignment failure" or "poor", but will it slew then?

Have a look in the local events section, and i'll you'll find someone local to you who would be happy to have you pop to theirs, or them to yours. Crewe a bit of a trek for me, though it doesn't sound like a straight forward problem.

James

Its just a 12v ac adaptor.

And i have done the star alignment previously. Pressing enter through them all it just says alignment successful. No failures or poor reported

Its just a 12v ac adaptor.

And i have done the star alignment previously. Pressing enter through them all it just says alignment successful. No failures or poor reported

Do you have a bit more info on a psu ? If it can't supply the required amps or is an unregulated type you will have problems using the synscan.

Do you have a bit more info on a psu ? If it can't supply the required amps or is an unregulated type you will have problems using the synscan.

Problem solved!

The power supply is the problem. Obviously there was enough power for me to drive it round but as soon as i wanted to star align it must have been too much for the system. Found out today when i used a friends power tank....

So.... Trip to maplins tomorrow and hopefully i can start focusing on some photography!!

On a desperate note. Point the tripod north and enter directions and the scope WILL slew somewhere and do something with just the co ordinates in. No need to do any manual star alignments....

On a desperate note. Point the tripod north and enter directions and the scope WILL slew somewhere and do something with just the co ordinates in. No need to do any manual star alignments....

Side note.... Not desperate. Cant edit posts after sending in tapatalk on this!

I'm glad you fixed it!

At least you know it wasn't user error :)

I'm off out in a few minutes (if it's still clear enough) to align my scope. I'll miss out the manual align on the first star and see how I go on.

Archived