NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

skywatcher equatorial mount EQ5 problems.....

Hi all, hope someone may have some ideas.....Ive got a EQ5 mount with dual drives. Mainly want to use my Canon 350-D to image the skys in wide field, however there seems to have developed a problem, even when I use a 70 mm lenses I get star trails even after a mere 30 secs.....! with the RA drive running. Im definitely got the mount balanced right in both axis, and the power tank is supplying the right voltage. Theres no flexture on the ball joint....ect.

Ive had the drives apart, reset the worm gear against the RA gear, and reset the cogs on the motors, to mesh together, this is where I am now, until the next clear night, I cannot see if this has solved the problem. Does anyone have any ideas..or tips as to test/try next???

I use to use this before but with the original canon lens (Which was wider field of view admittedly) and had no issues (Canon...18-55mm, now trying 70mm zooms to 200mm), im having to use this other lens, because I cannot use the canon lens with my astronomic light pollution filter). Any info would be great.........clear skys.

Sounds to me as if you need to accurately "Polar-Align" the mount , without this you will struggle to get a shot without trailing regardless of whether the RA drive is running.

I agree this sounds the most likely explanation.  You do need to get it pretty close once you start taking long exposures.

James

Archived