Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 Synscan

Joves

The instructions for assembly of the mount are pretty good I think.

The only thing that threw me at first was that I had cemented in three paving slabs for my old EQ5 mount with one of the tripod legs facing north. The AZ-EQ6 when assembled as delivered has the one leg pointing south. #%*$! Then I suddenly realised with some relief that the dowel on the tripod top can be swapped across to the other side. Phew!

I feel the instructions on polar alignment are somewhat lacking - especially for the inexperienced. Fortunately there is a lot of info on SGL and elsewhere.

I have only set up the mount in EQ mode so can't comment on set up in Alt-AZ mode. I've also only used the mount with the handset, not connected to a PC. But all seems to work well.

Yes, I nearly mentioned that. It needs lifting with care, especially if you have a dodgy back like me.

I thought at first I would store it in its polystyrene packing in the box it came in. But I found it tricky to manoeuvre it in and out if that. So I bought a large, shallow plastic box in Home Base made by the Really Useful Box Company. The mount lies beautifully in the box on a folded sheet and is really easy to lift in and out.

Cheers James, that's a great help.

Dear Joves, you clearly need help, but lucky for you, we in the hastily convened Astronomer Recycling Support Enterprise ("Bottom") are here to help.

Simply unburden yourself of guilt - and help your relationship - by gifting items from your unhealthily extensive collection - free of charge - to Stargazer's Lounge forum members.....

I look forward to receiving my 13mm Ethos in the post very soon. There - already feels better doesn't it  

:laugh:

Archived