Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Books for kids

Lee M

I've got a 7 year old nephew who's expressing an interest in space & the stars (as any self-respecting 7 year old should :smiley: )

He's staying with us on Friday so fingers doubly crossed for a bit of clear sky.

However I'm already thinking forward to Xmas and getting him a book to feed his curiosity. It'll need to be something that explains itself rather than an adult explains to him.

The ideal in my mind would be a combination of explaining basic concepts with a simple guide of things to look at unaided in the sky.

I've had a quick look at what Amazon has to offer but I was wondering if anyone here has found any gems for the young reader.

Cheers

Lee

What about:

National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Space (CATHERINE D. HUGHES)

Or

The Photographic Card Deck of the Solar System: 126 Cards Featuring Stories, Scientific Date, and Big Beautiful Photographs of All the Planets, Moons, and Other Heavenly Bodies That Orbit Our Sun (Marcus Chown)

Last Christmas I  bought my nephew (then aged 7) "Space: A Children's Encyclopedia" (D.K Reference) he loves it! As you said, it is something he can read himself - each topic is a few pages long with lots of photos and explanations. It is not the cheapest book, but  I recommend it - as do many others on Amazon for similar aged children.

Last Christmas I  bought my nephew (then aged 7) "Space: A Children's Encyclopedia" (D.K Reference) he loves it! As you said, it is something he can read himself - each topic is a few pages long with lots of photos and explanations. It is not the cheapest book, but  I recommend it - as do many others on Amazon for similar aged children.

Yes, I liked the look of that one. I haven't been in the market for childrens books for a few years but in the past I've always been impressed by DK books.

I think it's definitely on the short list :smiley:

While not really a book for children on their own, as some of the answers can be very 'heavy reading' a good book to share together might be 'The Sky at Night Answers to Questions from Across the Universe' from BBC Books

isbn: 978-1-849-90346-2

Lots of topics covered and the style of the book allows you to dip in & out anywhere

• 3 weeks later...

Archived