Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mirror lens any good?

Thats about the measure of it, any good if not why not, if so, why so?  I am currently looking at the 200 & 300mm lens range.

Its for DSO,  I am looking for a new frontier in my imaging... that is... to boldy go where my 55mm has not been before :embarassed:

EQ3-2 mount, RA tracking only, Pentax K-m DSLR

Thats about the measure of it, any good if not why not, if so, why so?  I am currently looking at the 200 & 300mm lens range.

Its for DSO,  I am looking for a new frontier in my imaging... that is... to boldy go where my 55mm has not been before :embarassed:

EQ3-2 mount, RA tracking only, Pentax K-m DSLR

Mirror lenses of the type you describe are usually of the catadioptric type and are too slow for DSO imaging at around F8~F12. You can purchase special design newtonian  astrographs at around F4~F5 but you'd need a very steardy mount to carry them effectively, your Eq3-2 regretably does not fit the bill. You can use the CATS for planetary imaging with your present mount and with a sensitve camera you maybe able to image some very bright DSOs.

A.G

I concurr with the above. I have the Samyang 800mm F8. Good for lunar work and maybe for very bright DSO, but would be a struggle for the dimmer ones.

It also takes some practice getting the fous right on these and exposure. You have no control on apeture and a good stiff mount is needed to prevent wobble when focusing.

That said it is a lot of lens for a smaller sum of money than many other telephoto lenses.

Archived