Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar Align Function on SynScan - Help please!

I am trying to suss out the Polar Align function following set-up, but don't seem to be getting great results, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am following the instructions and all seems to be fine and I am reducing the Mel and Maz, but I am still several minutes out every time following a 3-star align. I am a bit confused as to where the alignment star should be placed when using the alt then az adjusters. The first adjustment is with Alt t-bars only, so it's impossible to centre the star... I try and get it as close to centre as possible with the one plane of movement available. Then do the Az screws alignment and again, it's impossible to centre. The manual says to put the star as close to the Alt adjustment alignment point. I've tried to do this, but it's slightly random at this point as the star is generally not near to the centre of the reticle eyepiece that I am using.

So, does anyone have any suggestions to help me obtain a polar alignment that is nearer to the sub 1 arc minute promised in the manual?!

Thanks,

Gav.

No idea, but I would have thought that the Polar Align option was relevant to an Alt/Az mount not an Equitorial

Equally I may be reading the post incorrectly.

Yes you are (reading it incorrectly) . The polar align routine is only available to EQ synscan mounts.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/197302-synscan-v335-polar-alignment-optioncant-be-this-easycan-it/

I also find this a frustrating option, I find it works best with an Illuminated reticule eyepiece this way you can set your axis lines in the reticule and set the alignment star in the appropriate "tram line" but it still seems very hit and miss and with my big 12" I worry about stripping threads in the mount. You may you are doing this for AP you will find it less frustrating and more rewarding learning to drift align, the following is a pretty good guide. http://www.astrotarp.com/tutorials.html

Archived