Does anybody use a filter wheel for visual?

emadmoussa

I am starting to notice an increasing sky glow in my area in the past month or so. It seems I will be forced back to filters.

My skies are relatively - or used to be - clean and only for difficult objects I used a UHC filter. I recently sold it mainly because I found it quite fiddly to screw in and out ...and wasnt really desparate. Now I regret it.

So now it seems I am back in the game and thinking about a 2" filterwheel with UHC, Contrast and probably OII filters.

I am just wondering if this is good for visual only? And how difficult it is to achieve focus with the filter wheel attached. Cons and pros?

Filters will only enhance your view that you'd get minus filter. I should try bumping up the magnification until you get a clearer view . A refractor also works well in poor seeing.

The UHC filter will open up nebulae and I always keep it in the ep case. Haven't had a filter wheel , think they're for the dark arts.

You will have a wee bit of focussing to do after fitting the filter.

Best way to deal with light pollution is to go somewhere dark er !

Nick.

Coincidentally, I have one for sale! (Bad kitty) lol

Actually, I am actively considering one of these:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2165_Filter-Quick-Changer-incl--1x-1-25--filter-drawer---low-profile.html

I now envisage only rare excursions into LRGB (video) imaging. More the occasional use of single filters. This could do either? I do experience frustration jiggling cold eyepieces out of dodgy brass rings (shifting scope position) after taking ages to find something! :p

For some reason I cant see the one for sale. Is it 2"? How does it work with a 2" diagonal in terms of fitting and focus?

Took me while too? Meant to add an eye-catching picture... :D

http://stargazerslounge.com/classifieds/item/2566-brightstar-5-x-125-filter-wheel/

Basically the Brightstar has T2 female threads on both sides of the circular housing. One side has a simple screw-in 1.25" eyepiece / webcam adapter. The other has a T2 to T2 male to male adapter with threaded ring to allow rotation positioning / locking. You can interface the wheel with a T2 female (male) on a focusser / whatever. To fit a standard 2" eyepiece holder, I actually added one of these: 

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p200_TS-Adaptor-2--to-T2---low-profile-focal-adaptor.html

(If you're interested, in the wheel, I have one of these, already attached,

thus notionally spare, which I could consider throwing into the box...) ;)

The thickness of the housing is about 20mm, so when adapters are added adds "about an inch" to the overall optical path? The width of the optical path is limited within the wheel housing by the aperture of the particular 1.25" filters used... These of course have to be purchased (exist) as extras. :)

Archived