NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Older eyepieces, who made them?

alan potts

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan. FYI, SPM's 5" Cooke refractor would have been made by the famous Thomas Cooke who was based in York.

Plossl eyepieces were very common in the WW11 military equipment as their flat field was important for gunsight graticules etc.

I have a 16mm Clave Plossl, very expensive in their day, excellent quality.

H W English used to have a large selection of ex WD eyepieces, I still have a fair selection.  :smiley:

Thanks for that Peter, I wonder if it is or was part of the same business as I know the Cooke in Hull made scopes and other instruments, and York is only 36 miles away.

The other point you brought up Clave are still sort after now, I often see wanted for them.

Alan.

Hmm, I had a Fullerscopes 25mm Kelner, a 12.5 and 6 Fullerscopes Orthos back then, all on a fullers 8" f/6 on a MK3 mount, driven by a 240V motor.

Had a lovely figure that mirror, wish I had never sold it.

Nice set-up you had there Kev. 

Along with the 40mm Kelner I had a Fullerscopes 6mm Ortho plus another Fullers ortho - can't remember what size that one was, and a Meade 2x barlow also supplied by Fullers.  Scope was a Fullers 8.5" F6  on a MKII mount (utility form of the MKIII) with manual slow motions. The mirror was B quality, which was 1/8 wave. Before upgrading the to the 8.5" I had a Fullerscopes 3" F15 refractor on the MKII mount.

According to Fullerscopes 'B' quality mirrors were 'above' 1/8 wave, and 'A' quality 'better' than 1/0 wave. Interestingly, the objective on my 3" refractor was uncoated, which surprised me a bit at the time.  

Archived