Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

hand controller for heq5

I have a skywatcher 250 on a heq5 mount i havent had a chance to actually use it yet as working nughts but i am trying to familiarise myself with the workings as i am a beginner.

i have not upgraded for the goto (yet) but i am using the battery holder as a power souce and the plug in RA/DEC mover (sorry not sure what to call it).

I have bought the batteries and plugged it in but i am hearing a click when i press the button but there seems to be no movement. I have took off the clamps as well as trying it with them on but the same thing happens.

Two questions, what am i doing wrong and do i need to upgrade to a more powerful power supply.

Thanks in advance for any replies, i have found alot of help on this forum in the past week and its much appreciated.

It moves very slowly so it might be hard for you to see it moving at all. When you get a chance to use it you will see it moves quite quickly through the field of view on the X8 speed. I found the same thing when I got my HEQ5. I thought it would be wizzing around all over the place. I quickly realised it's manual for the big moves and then the motors are for fine tuning. Importantly when it's correctly aligned it will track quite well.

hope that helps

Sam

I check these kind of problems during the day as it's much easier than doing it in the dark. Try this:

- There's two sets of switches at the top of the controller. The left one should stay on "N" and put the right one on to the fastest - 16x.

- insert 4 D batteries correctly.

- connect everything together and double check. There should be a red light on the mount next to the connections and a green light on the hand controller.

- loosen the RA/DEC clamps and point the scope at something terrestrial and reletively far away. NOWHERE near the sun! Insert a medium power eyepiece and focus

- lock the clamps tightly when using the hand controller. Otherwise the motors can not lock on and move the telescope.

- press one of the four directional buttons and hold it down firmly. Check for the green light going red on the hand controller. Look in the eyepiece and check for movement. The speed of the telescope tube (let alone the mount!) is too slow to notice just by looking AT it.

If there is no movement, try using batteries fresh out of the packaging. You would be wise to upgrade to a jump-starter battery or similar which will power the mount very comfortably. Batteries should work for a short time, though.

HTH and sorry if I sound patronising!

Andrew

I just did exactly the same thing today! Got my HEQ5 out to see if all was working. If you hold your ear close and press the button you will be able to hear the gears turning. As others have said X16 is still very slow, I think the GoTo types move at something like X800!

Archived