Please help me identify an unknown object for sentimental value.

I'm trying to identify an unknown star or planet that I saw during a sentimental moment I shared with a woman while we talked about upcoming meteor showers. If anyone could help me identify it, I'd be extremely happy to share this information with her.

It was a very bright star/planet. It was visible even through the Indianapolis light pollution during sunset, and is about as bright as Vega at night, as far as I can tell.  We observed it Monday, October 7th. It was very near to the moon at sunset ( It was slightly lower and to the North). It was to the West at about 20 degrees above the horizon.

I hope any of that makes sense.  I don't know much about stargazing other than I enjoy it aesthetically.

Hello;

I am novice and have no experience whatsoever on this wonderful field. I have been a stargazer since my childhood and have always

"looked up" at the firmament and recently purchased an old telescope that I know little or nothing about. I would like to prepare for the best event of the year and watch the ISON comet and I do not have the " know how" to get started. Will you be so kind to direct me to the rigth forum that will give me a sense of direction?

thank you

Haha, quite correct Astronymonkey.  Thanks for the help. I don't know if this changes the Venus answer, but it has been in the same spot every night all week. I'm going to try the Star Walk ipad app the next time the sky is clear enough.

Archived