SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IR blocking and modded DSLR's

Daniel-K

should i have a IR blocking filter in my imaging train if i have a modded camera ? i still cant find a straight answer anywhere so i have turned to you fellow members here at SGL, currently my imaging train is- SCOPE-"2 SW LPfilter-0.8 reducer-Modded 450d

many thanks

In the Canon there are two filters - the colour correction ( removed to increase the ha respnse, and usually this is the "mod"), then there's the front anti-alias/ dust shake filter.

This filter also acts as a UV-IR blocking filter and is removed to give a FULL full spectrum mod.

To answer your question: If it's just the "normal" mod then the remaining filter will do a good job as a IR blocker.

should i have a IR blocking filter in my imaging train if i have a modded camera ? i still cant find a straight answer anywhere so i have turned to you fellow members here at SGL, currently my imaging train is- SCOPE-"2 SW LPfilter-0.8 reducer-Modded 450d

many thanks

Hi Daniel,

If you have removed all the filters ( full spectrum mod ) then you'd need an IR blocking filter otherwise you may get star bloat or that dreaded magenta halo round the stars with ED dublets.

A.G

Are the halo's blue or red?

Any other filters in the optical train which could cause reflections?

The ED80 is a well corrected refractor and shows little chromatic aberration....

EDIT: Ok I see you have a LPR and reducer in the optical path - my bet's on internal reflections....do a trial exposure with just the camera - not filter no reducer..

Archived