NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 luminance WIP - HELP REQUIRED!

x6gas

Hi all,

I need some help!

In my quest to capture the Messier catalogue spirals, I turned my Baby Q on M31 last night.  I really should have swapped out my 490ex for my 383L - I've pretty much been holding on to the 383 specifically for this target, but I was tired and couldn't bring myself to go through the process of making the 383 parfocal with the OAG guidecam.  So I can fit most of it in, but it's a bit unsatisfactory and I probably will go again at some point...

Anyway, I am having some trouble sharpening the image up - especially tthe dust lanes - and I would welcome some suggestions as to how to process this.  With so many stars, a high pass filter gets pretty ugly, pretty quickly.  Is it a case of patiently masking out all the little bleeders, using a star mask to do the job, deleting a star layer so I can work only on the galaxy, or what?

Not a perfect night, but the data seems reasonably good so if I can crack the processing this will eventually be a Lum layer for LRGB, if I ever get the colour data.

Scope: Tak FSQ 85EDx

Mount: CGEM DX

Camera: Atik 490ex

Guiding: Atik OAG; PHD; QHY IMG0H

36 x 300s for a total integration time of 3 hours.

post-11821-0-86466100-1381434383_thumb.p

Thanks, Ian

I had the same problem with mine. I tried to do layer masking like I would for M42 to get the dust lanes to pop more to begin with. Then I did normal processing then my high pass filter and blotted out the bright stars as you did. This way I wouldn't have to do the high pass filter as hard to get the wanted effect of the dust lanes popping out. Also less bloat added to the stars I didn't blot out because I didn't think they were bright enough or I missed them. This was with my DSLR data mine you so might work a bit differently with CCD data but thought I'd share.

A trick you could use is layer mask - hide all.

IF I can remember ........

Make a new layer and use your high pass on it. Then create layer mask - hide all and change it to overlay. Now the image looks like just the background. Use the eraser at a very small size and paint just the bits you want to sharpen, dodging the stars. Then go to blur - Gaussian blur and make the holes a bit blurry so as not to have sharp edges. Use opacity to reduce the effect to taste.

There are a few web pages about to show this if I got something wrong. I can do it better than explain it :)

Dave.

The quick answer would be to use Noel's Actions, now called something else but found here; http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/Astronomy_Tools_For_Full_Version.html

Enhance Local Contrast is the one you want, always used selectively as a layer. This action tends to black clip so make sure you have lots of room to the left of the histogram pedestal available before applying it. Noel also has a star selector which is an incredible time saver, thuogh if you want to do it yourself there's a first class Martin B tutorial on here.

Putting your own little kinks into the curve can be very powerful. Bringing the dark dust lanes down while lifting the immediately outlying region up a tad would help separate them.

Olly

Thanks again for the replies.

Olly's suggestion of running the Local Contrast Enhancement action from what is now called Astronomy Tools seemed to help.  In fact, I ran three iterations, with a Space Noise Reduction in between and it has definitely improved definition (I already had this action set, but had never tried that particular routine - or at least if I did I hadn't really clocked its potential...)

Anyway, I will go back I try the more complicated processing suggestions, but here's where I've got so far.

post-11821-0-45719600-1381674635_thumb.p

I need to redo my flats as I have an artifact top right...

I've just realised that I didn't say which video to watch !

They are all very good but the one I was specifically meaning was " Depth of Field Processing "

You'll find Ken Crawford in the new and much touted " Lessons from the Masters "

Dave.

Archived