NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 2174, the Monkey Head Nebula in H-alpha

woland

Hello,

Recently the weather was kind to me which is quite unusual during this time of the year. However this allowed me to take this photo of the Monkey Head Nebula in H-alpha (I don't have any other filters yet to make bicolor or HST images). The nebula is located in Orion:

4518c54f-c89e-496a-b305-390ce03774d9_thu

Information and setup:

8x1800 s (the longes I've ever taken), 04-10-2013.

TS Apo 65Q, Atik 314 L+, HEQ5, Baader H-alpha filter.

Astrometry.net annotations and other technical stuff

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoy!

Tomek

Hi. Thanks :)

Indeed you can especially with a faster scope (unlike mine). The only problem is getting the mount and guiding to behave, because some stacking methods can get rid of an ocasional sat trail. I don't think I would be able to achieve such long exposures on HEQ5 with any longer focal lengths - this one's 420 mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the nice comments :)

Several days ago I decided to buy the OIII and SII filters and yesterday I had a chance to take some photos with the OIII filter. Unfortunately due to the weather I was able to shoot just a couple of 1800 s subs which showed almost no oxygen...

Anyway I decided to take them and create a bicolorish image: 

db0bd1de-b993-4f41-b853-9f533c95b360_thu

Stars were created with the help of eXcalibrator and some photoshop work.

Hope you enjoy

Tomek

Archived