NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

another start up question.....

Our daughter who is just 8 has a keen interest in gazing skywards......

She is asking Santa for a telescope so she can look at Jupiter.......

She suffers from some learning difficulties and so would ideally like something that is easy to set up and use........

I have read many threads on this forum and appreciate its a case of you get what you pay for......

I don't want to buy cheap and find the poor results makes her lose interest, but money is tight so can't afford hundreds.......

What I would like for her is for her to be able to get half decent images of the likes of Jupiter and Saturn that gives her a WOW factor......

I don't mind buying something used as long as its in good condition....

What, if anything would a budget of £100 - £120 get me

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would recommend a small refractor for children as the setup is so easy and there are no problems with collimation etc.

Also a refractor looks like a telescope should look, which can be very important to children !

Some options (from a quick look at FLO) would be The Skywatcher Evostar 90 (AZ3) at £139 at FLO or the Skywatcher Startravel 80 (EQ1) at £123

the Evostar would be better for looking at Jupiter but as a grab and go scope the Startravel 80 is hard to beat.

welcome to sgl chloe you have given us a tough call. The images you see in a telescope except for the very large ones are not really spectacular. The wow that so many of us talk about comes from the imagination. Jupiter is a small sized pea in an eyepiece. Stars look like stars (although you can see coloured ones and more of them) and nebulas look like clouds viewed in the dark. If your daughter (and you I assume) have the imagination to translate that into meaning then you will get something out of it. What I am trying to say in my rambling way is that images from the web are not what you see in an eyepiece. In  astronomy we tend to suggest that apparture is best and generally recommend newtonion reflectors for that reason. But it really is fair to say that the best scope is the one you use which brings ease of use into it nothing under 18" is going to give images that will blow you away so you may as well go for simple and small II would suggest this one its on an altaz mount so its fairly easy to use and theres no collimation involved you just point and view

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-mercury-705.html

A 80mm telescope will give nice views of moon but even at planets it limits the magnification possible, even if the contrast is better compared to similar telescopes.

Something like an EQ1 mount is not only complicated for someone with learning difficulties, but also it's such a weak mount, it will not carry anything but a short refractor that suffers from color fringe at higher magnification.

I can't stress enuogh that a newton's collimation is no magic and that the Heritage holds it perfectly well. Even IF it is a little off, it will still show nice views on magnifications around 100x. If it is well collimated and the conditions alow it, it's view of the planets at 200-260x are amazing.

Also it's the smallest I'd go for IF galaixes, nebulae and such are also in the focus of interest.

Usualy a Goto telescope is recomended if learning the skies is no option, but you will have to learn your way around and it's not hat hard, really. When the planets  Jupiter and Saturn are up in the sky, they are easily spotted. They are among the brightest objects in th sky, and with a red dot finder it is so simple - point and view.

Even at 200x the tracking in a wide angle eyepiece is not that difficult.

Also the Heritage is as grab & go as it gets. Especially if there is a balcony or table, but also out on a dark field (just sit on the ground or a small camping chair).

Next to aperture and dark skies a stable mount is key, and  most sets lack of one due to getting the price nice and low...

Here are some (quick and dirty) sketches of what the heritage 130p can show visually;

http://www.ringohr.de/tmp6//saturn_small_130p_260x.jpg

Jupiter in a 4" Mak http://www.ringohr.de/tmp6/jup20110831.jpg 

Faint galaxies http://ringohr.de/tmp6//2013-05-05_invertDoodle_crop-galaxies.jpg

Now in a little 76mm table top dobsonian, as often sold in the low price segment

http://www.ringohr.de/tmp6//2013-05-04_Saturn-h76p_contrast.jpg

http://www.ringohr.de/tmp6//2013-05-05_Sketch2_76_jup.bjpg.jpg

But don't expect to look through a telescope and it will look like this right away.

It will require quite some time, a truly dark location, and time to observe to slowly make out the details.

Astronomy is no hobby that will be a  quick viewing experience if you expect full-color-animations as on TV.

As the planets and moon are not allways visible,  it makes sense to get a telescope that will show a bit of deepsky.

For smaller telescope the andromeda galaxy and Orion are possible of course, but allready star clusters and popular objects such as dumbbell- and ring-nebula benefit from a larger aperture, and even with 130mm, most galaxies will just be faint smudges, revealing little to no detail. Under dark skies you will be able to see their shape and rarely some weak details.

A 130p goto telescope will cost about twice as much as a dobsonian version, but you will still need to learn a few basics to navigate the skies and align the mount.

Are you going to assist your daughter, or will she observe by her own?

How dark is your location? (street lamps, city glow, neighbot windows or yard lights?) 

Also consider getting some binoculars to find your way around the sky.

Two people can't look though the eyepiece at the same time.

So when Lidl's get some more of those 10x50 binoculars in for £13,

try to make sure Santa arranges to get some for your Christmas pressie

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/forum/lidl-bino-s-t109270.html

Some negative reviews about the collimation and the hit & miss quality control.

A better set can be found for £40 from other retailers if you shop around.

Note: the £60 15x70 Revelations which I have will be too heavy and awkward for an 8 year old.

Go light weight, and low magnification for binoculars (8x or 10x maximum)

I agree, the cheap 10x50 are a good starter advice, and it won't be so bad if they get dropped ;-) 

They also sell   8x60 Bresser sometimes, and already 10x can be hard to hold free handed, but that's personal preference.

From the original post I'd be inclined to go with a refractor perhaps, well it depends. Even the little Dobs require a bit of loving care and need collimation, though very rarely on this model I found. I just did a round trip of over 950 miles by car a few weeks ago and the collimation only moved ever so slightly, one little tweak on the primary and it was ready to go.  If you are prepared to learn and  look after the scope and collimate it, make sure it stays clean etc. by all means.   

Good luck with picking a first telescope for your daughter :smiley:

I got myself a £16 Silverline tripod from Lidl's for our chunky 15x 70's.

It is the same light weight aluminium one advertised elsewhere for £53 under the Bresser name. 

I am on a tight budget as well.

Binoculars - when available

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/143666-binocular-thoughts/

Tripod for binoculars - when available

http://www.lidl-ni.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-7116DB0E-7BC4897D/lidl_ni_ie/hs.xsl/index_30101.htm

IE_79831wk1913NI_01_b.jpg

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond so far.......

I appreciate the Chloe won't see Jupiter or Saturn as shown in books but if she gets to see the red spot or the rings then am sure that will drive her appetite..........

Chloe suffers from a Brain Stem Tumour so we try to give her the best possible experiences around a limited budget......

I will assist her in her observations, but at times she may wish to be independent and attempt it on her own.....

This forum is a great resource....who would have thought that you need a filter to look at the moon

Indeed, but it helps prevent scams to some degree, as it's easier to judge if someone just registered to rip another person off, or if he/she is actually into the hobby;

I am currently looking into GoTo mounts, but these cost as much as the Heritage for example, and the chaper one with smaller telescope really don't show that much detail.

The rings are visible in the smallest telescope though, easily if you go above 60x magnification.

Any chance to visit an observatory there, a star party or just someone in the area who you know observes a lot?

Does this forum have a sales and wants section

Yes we do. To gain access to the classifieds section you need 50 posts and one months membership. At this point you will be able buy items for sale. When you reach 250 posts you will also be able to sell itemsa and place wanted ads. If you ask questions and contribute to the forum you should quickly reach 50 posts. Please do not cut/paste 50 "Hello and welcomes" in the welcome section though, as this may result in your post count being reduced accorndingly (see the Code of Conduct regarding post farming)

Yes, but it will require a higher Post count;

The moon Filter helps but is Not neccesary :-)

I would agree personally, opinions tend to vary a lot on this even amongst experienced observers that have a garage full of gear, but I don't have a moon filter and perfectly happy not using one, there again I've never used one either but if on a budget I'd not be thinking about such an accessory just yet and buying one straight away. Hope you find what your are looking for :smiley:

what are peoples honest opinions of these 2 scopes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251348951733?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281178484751?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

am i correct in saying that the 114 refers to its focal length........same as 76

so is a 140 twice as good as a 76

excuse me if i have got that all wrong

Both telescopes are good. The number 114, 76 102 etc refers to the aperture of the telescope.

thanks.........

thats the diameter of the glass/mirror??

which is the better option......i sort of like the remote one...is that a case of program in your exact location and then the location of say jupiter and it motors to find it...does it then keep it in view or do you have to pan around with the scope?

It depends on the type of telescope. For reflectors it is the mirror, for refractors ir is the objective lens. Bigger telescopes give brigther images and can see dimmer objects.

Both the ones in the links have goto mounts. Once you have set your location, date, time and aligned the mount to the stars the mount can then automatically follow your selected target. Select another target and the mount will find  it for you.

Archived