NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astro Camera - Dual Purpose?

Spacedout

Hello Chaps,

I have read several post about having to remove the IR Filter on the Samsung 2000 but is there a camera where the filter can simply be switched off?  I am thinking of getting some more CCTV cameras but it would be nice to be able to use them for both astronomy and security.  I did read on the PD1 camera that you could have IR Cut Filter on/off, is this the same thing?  Man I have too much to learn!

If such a thing is possible it would really help my sales pitch to the boss which is along the lines of, "babe, we need to beef up security and buy 25 cameras" :grin:

Cheers

Karl

Hi Karl cameras that are labeled "true night and day" use a mechanical filter which moves when the light level reaches a certain point but not sure what models would have integration.

With the Sammy, when the filter is removed and the colour then adjusted using a camera lens, it seems to work fine in daylight. Some cameras just switch to BW mode at night.

Food for thought

Regards Carl

karl, the Sammy 4000 has a mechanical filter slider what switches between night and day, day mode = colour plus filter....night mode=  b/w and the filter slides to one side and a clear filter is in place.

I'm not sure if you could swap these around, and it can be controlled remotely

I think Ken , Dragonman [ I could be wrong]  has done a video on utube about removing it.  best bet to pm him and find out if it was him

Thanks guys, I have just realised what the IR Filter is used for and why it is removed!  These cameras I guess would not normally be used for home security and for that I suppose you would need a camera with IR LEDS?  If this is the case my sales pitch is done for!

hahahaha, yep, that's my Video  :grin:

Karl, yes they are security cameras. They are actually the top of the range in Standard Definition Analogue security cameras.

They are so sensitive that no red LED's are needed.

The security cameras with the array of IR LED's around the lens are cheap poor quality cameras not capable of working in low light. So they throw out an enourmous amount of Inrafred light which the sensor can then pick up, but only as far as the LED's can illuminate.

But the SCB-2000 and SCB-4000, Mintrons, Gstar-Ex, etc are all highly sensitive Security cameras. The 4000 being the highest in quality image.

They see IR at any distance (think of distant galaxies).

Mallincam and Stellacam are different, being purpose built by the manufacturer, not modified Security cameras.

:grin:  I laugh when I see my Video. I sound like Crocodile Dundee  :tongue:

Ken, hope you don't go around in them skimpy football shorts like he use to do in the Paul Hogan show :eek:

Hahahahaha no way!

But I can honestly admit that I have pulled down Paul Hogans pants more times than Linda Kozlowski has  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

I'll let you work that one out yourself  :tongue:

Too much information. .lol. now Linda was a right darlin in the croc Dundee films. ..Davy

Davy, I used to work on the Paul Hogan Show and in one episode he plays the Mighty Hulk, and when he flexes his muscles and puffs out his chest his pants are supposed to fall down. That's the humour part of the sketch.

I was laying down on the floor just out of view of the camera and had to pull his pants down so it would look like they fell down by themselves. That's no easy task   :grin:

So after many many MANY takes we finally got it right.

It took so long because we kept laughing through it, even when it worked well  :tongue:

so there had to be a take where it worked well and we weren't laughing, which we eventually got hours later   :grin:

Making the show was always funnier than the show itself LOL!

hahahaha, yep, that's my Video  :grin:

Karl, yes they are security cameras. They are actually the top of the range in Standard Definition Analogue security cameras.

They are so sensitive that no red LED's are needed.

The security cameras with the array of IR LED's around the lens are cheap poor quality cameras not capable of working in low light. So they throw out an enourmous amount of Inrafred light which the sensor can then pick up, but only as far as the LED's can illuminate.

But the SCB-2000 and SCB-4000, Mintrons, Gstar-Ex, etc are all highly sensitive Security cameras. The 4000 being the highest in quality image.

They see IR at any distance (think of distant galaxies).

Mallincam and Stellacam are different, being purpose built by the manufacturer, not modified Security cameras.

:grin:  I laugh when I see my Video. I sound like Crocodile Dundee  :tongue:

Hi Ken,

Great video and Dundee was the man! 

So do you think I could uses the SCB 2000 as security camera for the home?  I know they are good in low light but what about no light or would I need to have some lights on outside to be able to use them?  What I am thinking is I could get some to use as security cameras outside my house but also when needed used them as extra Astronomy cameras? 

My plan is to have 4 cameras:

Mallincam on main OTA

SCB 1 on Finder Scope

SCB 2 on OTA with Fisheye to try and recreate the view while standing behind the scope

SCB 3 on wall overlooking my set up so I can keep an eye on the scope during slewing.

Best regards

Karl

Karl, the SCB-2000 is fantastic as a security camera. That's exactly what it is. A fairly high quality one.

You will be surprised at what it can see outside in a dark backyard/Driveway/ etc.

Even with the smallest amount of Moonshine or stray streetlight glow it looks like daytime!

Removing the IR filter will help it see at night. You need to remove it for Astronomy anyway.

At daytime, without the filter, it will be very bright and you will have to turn it down.

Archived