Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

not quite upside down image?

The new scope arrived yesterday morning (skywatcher 130p supatrack auto NOT GOTO) and as expected there was plenty of cloud cover and mist forecast for the night but at least i got it set up and collimated  and fitted the finderscope

instead of the image being upside down as expected its more like 45º before and after collimation

did i do something wrong ?

Picture is taken of a tower about 3  miles away through a double glazed window with a smartphone camera  (admittedly not very a clean window but i just wanted the finderscope aligned  and not concerned too much about sharpness)

post-32142-0-10083500-1380443984_thumb.j

Nope you havent done anything wrong, the image is upside down as you say, you can correct it by either twisting the camera round prior to taking the shot or by rotating the tube itself to right the image, but then youd probably end up with the focus control pointing directly down at the ground, I think. If you did it the later way, making viewing through the eyepiece a little difficult to say the least.

Regards John

PS welcome to SGL

Nothing wrong; This is due to the rotational angle of the drawtube (if that makes sense). If you have tube rings (I'm not sure if the supatrack does) then you can rotate the Tube in them and the image that you see will rotate. This might make the eyepiece location become a little more awkward to look through. On most astronomy targets, however, it doesn't matter if they are rotated.

Alternatively, rotate your camera/head... :wink:

Looks right to me. And I find when I'm looking through an eyepiece at  space 'up' becomes fairly arbitrary anyway. Don't forget, your latitude and time of day will also cause the appearance of your target to rotate too (unless you use an EQ mount).

thats a relief :smiley:

No tube rings with a supatrack. The dovetail is screwed to the side of the tube so no way to adjust without drilling new holes and mounting elsewhere.

As long as i havent done anything stupid with the collimation to cause it or a defective scope then im quite happy to work with it as is :cool:

Hmmmmmmmmm originally intended it a a birthday pressie for the current mrs Jesterowl  (21 years and counting so she is maybe permanent)  but the more i did research about it the more i got hooked myself.

Got a good bit of blue sky and sunshine today so maybe we will get out ............................. and then of course it could cloud over before it gets dark :mad:

I never really paid much attention to our weather before, just the normal moans about poor weekends. That was until I started doing hobbies that were weather dependant - archery, scuba diving and now astronomy. I now realise just how crumby our weather can be in the UK!

Good luck with the scope tonight, I hope you manage to get some clear skies and that your wife really enjoys her birthday present! :grin:

Archived