Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Insomnia sometimes pays off.

bomberbaz

Welll its not actually insomnia but a big plastic cast on my leg that makes me look part Borg is making it difficult to sleep (or even walk for that matter). So came down for a brew and decided for a quick mooch out the back garden.

I wasn't sure what to expect as I haven't been following the skies recently and generally I am not in the habit of getting up at 3.30 in the morning.

Whohooo, straight away spotted Jupiter and Orions belt (meaning the great nebula was there too). The skies looked very clear indeed although it was a tad breezy.

Quickly I got my grab n go scope. When I say quickly what I mean is I was hobbling around, desperately trying not to smash into the door or any other fitting in the house and I set it up in the garden for a (very) quick impromptu session.  (It had to be quick as all I had on were jimjams, one trainer & a dressing gown, don't dwell on this thought guys :eek: ) Also as mentioned the wind was blowing rather fresh.

However for a totally uncooled scope I had a cracking little 15 minute sesh ticking off Jupiter which I managed to get up to 90X showing up some banding and 2 moons but it was a little wishy washy, Orion Nebula which was clear to see and showed up well with a UHC filter and finally Pleiades.

The latter was a pain as I now only have a 45 degree diagonal ( I sold the 90 degree diagonal to neighbour and forgot to replace it ) and I was practically on the floor trying to get to the eyepiece. However I did manage a view before my bad leg started screaming at me due to the weird position I had adopted normally only seen in a game of twister.  :rolleyes:

So first time behind the scope in almost a month at a time when it certainly was not planned and it was quite rewarding and is sending me back to bed with a little smile on my face.

Baz/Steve

PS. And tonight was the very reason why I have my little grab n go, there is no way I would have got my 12" dob into the garden with my gammy leg  :grin:

Archived