Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter

jetstream

Well my sky last night was pretty bad,with the forecast calling for clearing skies in the early morning,which it did, but with high surface winds.Anyway I got up at about 4:30am to let the telescope cool a bit,had a few coffees and set up to take a peek.Surprisingly enough,my seeing conditions were good!Very good in & out focus sky test on Polaris,so over to Jupiter we go.With the dawn looming,Jupiter showed some very good detail,for this time of year,4 moons were visible with Europa trying to hide behind the "Boss",the other 3 had to sit there for all to view.Three colour bands showed themselves, as well as a Polar cap and a hint of the GRS was seen.I detected a "split" or colour difference in the band with the GRS,which for me ,observing from here, is pretty good.All in all a great,but short session-inspiring none the least :smiley:.

I'm not typically a morning observer, either. Nonetheless, Jupiter is making a nice pass by Wasat (delta Gem) right now. Always cool to see the planet and it's moons passing close to a bright star. Nice report, Gerry!

Archived