celestron 6se or skywatcher explorer 200p goto

So after months of reading reviews checking specs and count my pennys, its boiled down to 2 telescopes.

i guess the main question would be how much more am i gonna see through the 8 inch telescope when it comes to galaxy arms and dust lanes.or are we talking larger instruments like 12/14 inch aperture. Im sort of in favour of the se at the moment cause of the portability.

Also how is the quality of views compare in the 2 optical designs. IS THE 2 INCHS WORTH IT????

A 8" mirror has much more surface area,

a estimate of what to expect with careful & extensive observing under good conditions

http://clarkvision.com/visastro/m51-apert/

The almost double surface area of the 8" will show a lot more, probably more obvious then the difference between 8 and 12" visually.

If portability is an issue - Heritage ;-))

Also maks, sc and such have a large secondary mirror (obstruction), reducing contrast and less light gathering

If you take your time at the eyepiece, get out to some decent dark sites and are relatively fortunate with the night's atmospheric conditions, a well collimated 8" should reveal some really nice detail on Messier type galaxies. At the end of the day aperture is important for deep-sky objects. On each increment, you'll be able to pull in more light, making the image brighter and thus a little easier on your eye to make out detail from the faint and whispy object.

But aperture aside, there are many different kinds of telescopes and what is perfect for you may not be perfect for another. So if possible it's a good idea to check out the scopes you have in mind before buying one by heading out to a local astronomy club or star party. There you will see the size of the intruments in question and be able to evaluate how easy it will be to use and to set up and take down. If it becomes too much hard work, over time you may lose interest in stargazing.

Another important point is to buy from a reputable astronomy shop that will give you top quality service and advice. If you're in the UK  F.L.O is going to be hard to match or beat.

Hope this helps get the ball rolling and please keep on asking questions.

Hi Icebergahed, Its really about where your going to use the scope the most - garden  -from your location I would say that if you put the 8" and the 12" side by side -  your not really going to notice a major "step up" in faint detail - no spiral arms/dust lanes on the majority of targets - I've tried it from my garden a while back, the light pollution "drowned" out the majority - yes a slightly brighter image - but nothing of a real improvement and certainly the light pollution on a low power was the problem.

I think you would probably need a greater increase in aperture than 8 - 12, say 8 - 20, I have no experience with the 20" light bucket - only 8 - 12, perhaps you may get another reply from someone with a 20" scope - but I've used Dobs and SCT's, I find the SCT a lot easier to handle - I really struggled setting up the 12" Dob, also think of storage, carrying the scope to a car - even the choice of ep's - I settled on the good old SCT!!.

At a dark site - things may be a little different, remember  though, before getting to the site you'll have to carry the scope to the car - drive to the site - then set up, you have to factor in weather conditions - clear when you set out - cloudy when you arrive.  

The major factor for me was being able to set up in the garden - yes, under light polluted skies, coming into the hobby with my eyes wide open - and being really happy when finding my first object and just learning to live with the light pollution, working my way up from a 6" dob to the set up I have now and just really enjoying the whole hobby and I think the main point is actually "understanding" what you can see through a variety of scopes - to someone who's just come into the hobby  - aperture fever strikes!!!!!, wanting the 12" scope, Isn't really the answer - but as with every hobby - experience rules.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to walk out the back door with the 30" Obsession or the 20" RC set up in the garden - you can change the scope - but I'm afraid the light polluted sky is only going to get worse, travelling to a truly dark sky with an 8" scope would do for me !! - hope that helps

Hi, I have an 8" SCT and to be honest it spends most of its time in its box!

I get more use from my 80mm refractor.

I also have a HEQ5 and an NEQ6 but the 5 gets more use as it is more portable, even just out in the garden.

Hi Ya Herbig, nice 1,  bet your skies are a lot darker than us land locked Astronomers, bet the frac does well, I see your a member of the NLO - not sure wether you know Ian, I'm a radio Ham and have spoke to Ian a number of times - his call sign is M1 OOO - I have met up with him over the airwaves and he says its a very active Observatory  -regards Pete and clear skies to you all.   Paul.

Archived