NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Software for showing me a sky 'FOV' view

autonm

Let me explain...

I know there is lots of software which shows me the night sky based on time and location...

and there is software for entering a 'scope, lens and then selecting a single object and what the view would be like on that object.

However Im looking for a mixture of the two.

i.e. enter a time and date, enter my camera lens size etc - and then for it to draw a frame around the night sky area that I would be able to see from the camera...

jope that makes sense?

The Imaging Toolbox allows you to:

- View a selection of all-sky image surveys directly from your web browser with no need to install extra software.

- Explore the sky interactively by panning, zooming and dynamically switching between surveys. You're not limited to small images of a few targets that have a limited resolution and often don't fill the whole camera frame, but instead you have access to several professional high-resolution all-sky surveys, the main ones of which have full sky coverage.

- Find almost any deep-sky target by common name or catalogue number (Messier, NGC, ICC, etc.), or choose from a list of popular imaging targets.

- Go to any location using Right Ascension and Declination coordinates.

- Overlay the sky with a reticule which reproduces the field of view of your camera and telescope / lens.

- Display multiple reticules at once to compare the fields of view of different camera and telescope / lens combinations.

- Reposition the target and rotate the reticule to work out the best way to frame your image, as well as changing the reticule colour to suit different sky backgrounds.

- Arrange multiple reticules on a single target to plan a mosaic.

- Annotate the reticule with the field of view dimensions, pixel scale and the resolving power of your scope/lens. 

- Set the reticule size by directly entering the dimensions of your field of view if you already know them, or calculate them if you don't.

- Calculate field of view dimensions using camera chip or pixel dimensions, resolution and the focal length of your scope or lens.

- Or choose from a database of hundreds of popular telescopes, astronomical CCD and DSLR cameras.

- Determine the effect of adding a Barlow lens or focal reducer/field flattener on your set-up.

- Save the current reticule set-up and field of view to your local web browser for later re-use (no need to keep re-entering your camera parameters).

- Link to a reticule and field of view for sharing in forums, etc.

The Imaging Toolbox doesn't do date/time visibility as you are requesting, you'd need a planetarium for that; I use Stellarium and the oculars plug in for that job.  The problem with Stellarium is that it doesn't give you a good idea of what (most) targets will look like in the field of view which is why I wrote the Imaging Toolbox in the first place.

mosaic.png

Archived