Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the different between a Rima and a Rille?

AndyWB

Well according to an apparent wiki type site they are simialr but not identical.

Trouble is cannot make out what the difference is especially as the site appears to imply in the first line (title) they are interchangeable.

MoonWiki

Says in the first para: The IAU defines a rima as a "fissure".

Then says in 3rd para: Rilles are definitely not "fissures".

Rilles seems to be German so I wonder if we are using words from different languages that in their native language have fractionally different meanings.

Pick the one that is used most commonly.

Hmm. I wonder if John is onto it, with Rima being for a specific rille. Found this on Wikipedia describing Rima Hadley (or the Hadley Rille):

"To the west of these peaks is the sinuous Rima Hadley rille where the Fallen Astronaut memorial has been placed in memory of those astronauts who died in the advancement of space exploration. "

I looked this up 'cos I'd thought it was 'Rima Hadley', but heard someone call it 'the Hadley Rille' - it's what raised the question in the first place.

Archived