Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More on my new bins.......axial misalignment ? Helios Q4's.

Fatbloke-Dim

I have a bit of a problem , I think ,now that I've availed mysellf of a few clear and pretty mild nights of late , to get first light with my Helios Q4 25x100's . Here's where I am now , except for wanting a decent p-mount , which I am pursuing thru' various channels . Two things issues presented themselves ,these being;-

1.  I get a doubling of the image ,vertically , when using both eyes , which is not present when sighting each side individually . The right side does'nt seem to get quite as "sharp" focus as the left , showing a little flare and diffraction on point-source objects , again , this not present on the left side .

2.   I find the lens/body barrels are fouling on the tripod head , I think the I.P.D. would benefit from closing up just a tater . Anyone aware of a widget to raise the central mounting pillar of the bins up a little to lift them a bit above the 'pod 's head? I figure it would need to have 1/4" thread ,male one end, female at 't other end .

Further to the above , my thoughts regarding number 1 , which I am most concerned about , would I be right in thinking there must be some sort of axial misalignment between the left and right barrels ? If so ,is that reason for sending them back ? Or is there any way to adjust this , even if it means returning them to be sorted? The I.P.D. is set as near as dammit right , just wondered if I could close 'em up a little more , whether that may account for the image doubling ? I doubt it  , personally ,as then they may be set too close together for me , but I defer to more experienced advice .

Any ideas ,folks?

If they are under warranty (they should be) return them. The double image you complain about clearly shows collimation is off. The optical differences you describe are also suspect. you can collimate them yourself, but as they are new, they should be OK. I had a similar problem with much cheaper 15x70s, and Astroshop.eu replaced them without problems.

Agree with Michael, if they are indeed out of collimation, I would return them and seek a replacement.

Just a thought though, I wonder if the binocular fouling on the head, and consequently not allowing the IPD to be set correctly could be a contributing factor? If the IPD is set even a little wide your eyes may have trouble merging the two images into one? The short mounting post on that particular binocular (same as the Oberwerk 25x100 iirc) is a known issue and both Scopestuff & Big Binocular in the USA sell an extension post that resolves the issue.

Re one side not being as sharp as the other, I recently thought the same of a 22x85 Helios Apollo, but after some experimentation concluded that my right eye was at fault and not the binocular. When I looked through the right eyepiece with my left eye, both gave identical views. It might be worth a shot?

Just got mine today, having a similar problem, cant seem to squeeze them together anymore for the ipd so givin me eye strain, the right one seems to have a shadowed crescent on the right side through the right eyepiece but if I squint and move my head I can get a clear circle but not if both eyes are being used,   impressed with what I can see though but as is, couldn't do an all nighter with them!

odd tinge of green round the edge of the moon but otherwise pinsharp!

My Helios Apollo HD give some colour fringe on the moon (to be expected from F/4 achromatic lenses). To be rid of such fringes on the moon, you need much more expensive optics. I compared the view through my 80 mm F/6 APM triplet apo at 15.5x (with Nagler 31T5) to my Helios Apollo 15x70 on star fields and DSOs and the difference in correction is huge. The "pin sharp" Apollos did not seem so pin sharp any more.  This is hardly surprising given that the Nagler EP alone cost more than the entire binoculars (2 objectives, 2 EPs, and 2 sets of prisms). The combination of EP, triplet scope, and 90 deg Amici prism is more than four times the cost of the bins, so they had better be a good deal better.

Archived