Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can a Flextube go on a EQ5 mount?

Hi all,

So I have got to the stage where I am thinking about fixing my canon 600d to the 200p Flextube Dobsonian Goto.  I have the T-ring and I think im good to go.  I was just wondering if the Flextube can be fitted to a EQ5 mount or will the Flextube struts get in the way of the tube rings on the mount?  If not then really reluctantly I may think about selling the 200p flex dob and use the money to go towards a 200p goto on a eq5.  I think a eq6 or heq5 would be out of my budget.  I wonder if anyone has managed to fit their flextube on a eq mount.  Any suggestions guys and gals would be very much appreciated.  (I actually love my scope and really don't want to part with her)   :)

Richard

I think you would need tube rings to go round the OTA, as they have to grip the OTA I do not think that a flextube is usable. They would simply bent too much.

The idea of a 200P on an EQ5 is acceptable as a visual scope, that is what the setup is intended for, but for imaging the OTA is a bit on the heavy side for the mount, then you start adding additional items and it gets heavier.

Separate visual and imaging.

Oh dear, well thank you for the replies, I guess I may have to consider a new scope if I wish to take the photography side of it more seriously.  I may just try to fit the camera to the Flex dob and see if I can take some 1 minute exposures and stack them? I wonder if I would have much success with globs? or nebulars.  I will probably have a go at orion in the winter and see what kind of results I get.  Obviously to avoid star trails I need to keep the exposures fairly short.  And I need to get a remote shutter release so I don't wobble the scope about :)  Any idea as to how much success im likely to have with this, I don't expect stunning results but would be happy if I get something.

Richard

Archived