Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

tried some binoculars last night :-)

Gonzo

Last night I've borrowed some binoculars, Canon 15x45IS, and headed out to the beach at night in south east Spain. I was able to spot M31 quite easily with them.

It's quite astonishing the difference between just looking up with your naked eyes and with the help of some binoculars.

I wouldn't however buy some as I prefer a telescope, but I can see the attraction in them.

You can get a decent pair of binoculars without breaking the bank. I must say that my binoculars really extend my observing activities. They're great for impromtu observing when there are only a few gaps in the cloud and it's not worth the effort of getting the scope set up. I have them with me even when I do have the telescope out as it's often a good way of checking the star hop to a new or unfamiliar object. They're also very nice for observing large star clusters or other objects that are larger than the telescope FOV. I find that they also come in useful when I'm doing imaging as it gives you something interesting to do while the camera is clicking away.

Hi Gonzo,

I don't see having a pair of binoculars as an either/or prefernce to a telescope so much as another string to the proverbial bow - although I have to admit to a growing interest in binocular astronomy and an appreciation of their particular attributes.

I briefly tried a pair of Canon 15x45 IS binos last year, and my initial ignorant scepticism about them being expensive (very) hi-tech toys was completely blown away with the views I got! They are remarkable.

Nothing to stop you (expenditure withstanding) from adding a pair of half decent 10x50 Porros to your kit - I'm sure you'll quickly wonder how you managed without them.

As I'm still in south Spain and today is a very clear day (read: cloudless night... woohoo) I'll be heading out to the beach with the binos.

I was reading some magazines I took with me and they have a few articles about binoculars and trapeze mount thing. I might buy a medium size second hand bino to learn the night sky and do some star hoping.

Glad you liked the binocular experience. Bins pick up so much more light than the naked eye: if your pupils dilate to 5mm, the 45mm you used collects about 81x more light, or just over four magnitudes. 

You are right that they do not replace a scope, but are an excellent extra piece of kit. Bins are great for a number of reasons (some have already been mentioned): They show a wider field than most scopes, they have ultra-quick set-up time, so even small gaps in the clouds can be used, and they can be carried to holiday destinations easily. Finally, they are a very good way to set out in astronomy for a modest price, and they are invaluable for learning your way around the skies.

Archived