NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Collumnation

daiwelly

Are you sure it needs collimating Daiwelly. Did you test to see if it need it.

If you go out tonight find a bright star and get into focus, then slowly bring it out of focus and you should see the star form a doughnut.

If the inner circle is in the center of the outer circles of the doughnut that is OK, But if the inner circle is off center it need collimation.

Collimation is critical for astrophotography, but not so important for viewing. The stars will be a bit less sharp to see, but you will not have problems for the moon tonight, which should be good to see tonight.

Pat

post-6926-0-76327800-1379157527_thumb.jp

Hi

I have not checked since i have had it, I have ordered on just waiting for it to come back is at home right now but I am up in Brecon till sunday night, I will check it tonightits promising to be good tonight>

and thanks for the info I did not know how to check it without a collumnator.

I know this wont help, but it's shame you didn't post a few days ago, I have just spent 10 days in Brecon and could have checked it for you. I was at a loss yesterday with poor weather, it would have given me something to do. Sorry daiwelly.

Hi Tony that would have been perfect, anyway I set my scope up last night did a 2 star alignment perfect connected it to laptop and stellarium everything worked laptop accepted it but every time I selected the scope it went in the opposite direction or should i say miles away totally out of align, so i did 2 star align without the laptop. align great select a star from hand controller lists, same again nowhere near so i may have to go through all my settings or even do a factory reset. if i did that would i have to reinstall the the latest firmware upgrade as i done the upgrade at the begin of the week?

Might be the power supply, what are you using. I seem to remember those mounts are critical on power and must have constant power supply of 12v.

If you are using 1.5vx 8 batteries you will not get enough power. If you are using a power pack it need to be at least 12v charged. Fully charged will give you about 4 hours use.

If your power supply is good. Make sure you have the mount pointing North before aligning. try to pick alignment stars which are on different sides of the Meridian and at least 80 degrees apart.

Practice today in doors using Stellerium as a guide but not with the scope connected to it. Only connect the scope to Stellerium after alignment.

Another commen faults is putting the date in wrong. It should be MM/DD/YY American system and not our way DD/MM/YY.

Give it a go and get back to me

I will give that a try I am using 12volt leisure battery but will try when I get home tonight dates could have been wrong but dont think so Its all packed away now till i get home later so will check when home this evening thanks for the advice. you mentioned north now there are no north marks on the tripod or anywhere else as its AZ goto? or is there something I have overlooked?

Hi

Stupid mistake I think I have found the problem stellarium was set on my home location  and not here in Brecon about 25miles out. although I have the settings for Brecon its not my default, at moment. I will have  to check that each time I move I  said I was a newb

25 miles will not make a lot of difference.

When aligning have the scope Horizontal, and facing North. Use a compass if you have one or just point it in the direction of Polaris. Don't power up until it is facing north. . The 12v leisure battery is good, maybe it was a bit Flat after being used a lot.

Let me know how you get on

Pat

Archived