Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

micjyfynn111

CCD will give you a better signal. Monochrome CCD with LRGB filters is easier to process and allows you to use narroband filters too (good for when the moon is up).

DSLR is cheap - hence most start with it.

More importnantly, you need a good mount before you even think about the camera.

The best way to start is fixed tripod astro imaging. You don't want to jump in the deep end and realise you are not interested!

I started with just a Canon 1100D and a tripod. The 1100D is a great DSLR for those starting out, its cheap and can produce excellent results.

I would 100% advise against getting a CCD unless you have a mount, scope, and a bit of experience imaging.

What do you want to image? Nightscapes, widefield/constellations, deep space objects, planets?

A DSLR and a tripod wont allow you to do much except widefields...

Most importantly, to start with astrophotography like dmahon said, is to get a equatorial mount... wether you wanna do planetary, deep sky objects even widefield... You need to make sure that mount can handle your setup... and the setup your excepting to buy in a near futur...

what you want to buy will be according to what you want to watch/photograph so y0ou have to start with what your objectives are.. then find a mount before buying any otas... start with second hand equipement to start with.. to make sure you like it and so you dont waste to much money on it!

Many things to consider... ;)

Thanks for all the advice, I have a bresser 6" f5 refractor and

an EQ6 syntrek. I would like to try planetary and deep sky too.

so the mount side of things is not an issue thankfully. Lunar seems

like an excellent starting point. I think I will be looking at a modded

dslr , there seems to be a few around at reasonable prices.

So what's the story with the 1100D ? I should think they are quite heavy,

is this an issue.?

Thanx ppl

My apologies! I didn't realise you already had a mount and scope! Ignore my post haha

The 1100D is a great DSLR to get started with and like Derick said, dont worry about the weight too much if you have an EQ6! (i just ordered mine yesterday :grin:)

My apologies! I didn't realise you already had a mount and scope! Ignore my post haha

The 1100D is a great DSLR to get started with and like Derick said, dont worry about the weight too much if you have an EQ6! (i just ordered mine yesterday :grin:)

What are you gonna put on your EQ6? not just your 1100D?

For planets use a webcam - you'll find it more straightforward - also get Registax to align and stack. For dso's use a dslr with Deep Sky Stacker (google both - they're free to d/l). Deffo get a modded dslr when you come to deep sky objects. Also - read up on guiding - I'd recommend Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards as a good starting point for someone new to imaging.

Nice scope and mount btw :)

What are you gonna put on your EQ6? not just your 1100D?

Haha yes, at the moment i image with the 1100D and an EF200L on an Astrotrac. The NEQ6 is the first step in building up my telescope rig. The scope will have to come at a later date because i'm, on a budget but the EF200L will more than suffice till then.

Sound thinking - any imaging system starts with the most important bit - and that's the mount. You've got a good 'un. While you're saving you could always pick up a s/h 150P ota for under a hundred quid. Great scope and cheap as chips and you can always sell it on when you're near your money target. :)

Archived