NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Trigger-grip ball-heads

I have been trawling the web for a trigger-grip ball-head of the type one Steve can be seen using in his avatar, but without success.

I suspect that Steve's grip is a Manfrotto but I could well be wrong!

I have tried FLO and one other UK outlet and also several German Astro suppliers but have so far been unable to locate anything that appears suitable - most heads are aimed at video or camera applications which have different requirements to the astro bin-gazer!

These heads are mentioned in several threads on this forum but I did not spot one that appealed which had a link to a supplier.

So my questions:

1. What is the grip Steve is using in his avatar?

2. Which suppliers in the UK (or elsewhere) stock this trigger-grip type of ball-head, ie. where there may even be a selection to choose from.

The pistol grip types will obviously foul on the monopod or tripod leg(s) sooner or later at high elevations so a trigger-grip is what I'm after.

Kind regards

Roger

1. What is the grip Steve is using in his avatar?

It is a Weifeng WT-011H. It is available in the UK with several different brand names, like Camrock, Konig and Olivon.

2. Which suppliers in the UK (or elsewhere) stock this trigger-grip type of ball-head, ie. where there may even be a selection to choose from.

The only ones I know of available to buy in the UK are the ones branded Olivon and Konig. If you're feeling particularly stupid, you can also get the Olivon for silly money on eBay! :laugh: There's also an eBay seller in Poland who sells to the UK at a better price than the UK sellers.

I hope that helps; please shout if you need more info.

Thanks Steve, that's exactly what I wanted.

Strangely when I tried to order the Olivon version through Amazon (thanks for the link BTW) when I proceeded to the checkout it informed me that it was not possible to ship to my address in Germany. I can only presume that their supplier simply does not ship abroad. I could have ordered the Konig version but this would still, however, have cost € 81.

Fortunately I also checked for Camrock and found a supplier on german ebay selling for €39.50 - around 33 GBP - including postage so have ordered there.

Once again many thanks.

The other ebay.co.uk prices were indeed extremely silly!

Perhaps this price on the german ebay site may be of interest to others.

Kind regards

Roger

Hi,

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PhotxPro-TP39-Professional-Aluminium-Photographic/dp/B003SPJNTS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378640717&sr=1-1&keywords=PhotxPro+TP39

It was a bit of a punt at the time but has proved to be an incedible bargain. I was looking for a good solid heavy tripod, which I certainly got, and the trigger grip head seemed to be a bit of a freebie. What a freebie. Solid cast metal, well made with an easy action and does a terrific job. The genrally accepted wisdom is to use a two/three way head (which I have on a lighter set up) but on the whole I get on really well with the trigger grip. Seems to work better with a bit more weight on it - too heavy for a little refractor that I have.

Hi,

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co...s=PhotxPro TP39

It was a bit of a punt at the time but has proved to be an incedible bargain. I was looking for a good solid heavy tripod, which I certainly got, and the trigger grip head seemed to be a bit of a freebie. What a freebie. Solid cast metal, well made with an easy action and does a terrific job. The genrally accepted wisdom is to use a two/three way head (which I have on a lighter set up) but on the whole I get on really well with the trigger grip. Seems to work better with a bit more weight on it - too heavy for a little refractor that I have.

That does seem to be a bargain Alfian, I own several tripods/monopods so was only needing the head which I've now ordered for around 33GBP.

Kind regards

Roger

I've heard something about an 1/4 to 3/8 adapter,will I need this too?

Depends on your tripod/monopod. If it has a 3/8" screw to mount the head, then you don't need the adaptor. If it has a 1/4" screw, you need one of these.

@Alfan: Good find: same trigger-grip head, and a reasonably good tripod.

@Richard: Sorry, hadn't noticed the Aachen location; I'd assumed UK!

Thanks Steve.

I ordered the Camrock labeled version and it arrived today.

Although I ordered via ebay.de it obviosly comes from Poland!

First impressions are very good although the grip is obviously designed for cameras - we would have prefered the tigger grip to face away from us in use but the ball head tilts such that for looking up to the sky the trigger has to face the viewer but this is no big deal!

Once again many thanks everybody for the advice.

Now just need to get rid of this low pressure, rain and cloud and off we go!

Kind regards

Roger

although the grip is obviously designed for cameras - we would have prefered the tigger grip to face away from us in use but the ball head tilts such that for looking up to the sky the trigger has to face the viewer but this is no big deal!
You should be able to rotate it so it faces away from you. Squeeze the trigger & try!

Tab on Tapatalk

Archived