Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7000 Hubbled with 200mm Lens

jnc71106

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes kinda. I found that the drawer made contact with the bayonet assembly on the lens as the drawer got to the bottom of the slot, so i made a small adjustment to the filter drawer using a file and it now clears the offending part on the lens

smooth as silk now :) hope that helps

Jake

Thanks again jnc, my widefield rig is up and running.

10178510936_59b4a4f511.jpg

Took 30 minutes of 300 second subs at f/2.8 with a straight baader luminance filter as a quick test in poor conditions.

10177208946_4fc33bd69e_c.jpg

Oh my god, it's full of stars!

I can definitely see a bit of distortion on the larger 460ex chip at f/2.8 but nothing too bad.

Looking forward to getting this working.

I definitely focused at a star on the 1/3rd points, but I may have had some focus drift due to temperature drop.

What spacing are you at jnc? Did you need to tweak this at all ?

Mine looks like Gerd was right on the money with approximately 31mm + another 13mm for the Atik = 44mm.

Thanks,

Anton

my spacing is at 42mm from memory so infinite focus is a little before the mark on the lens which doesn't appear to give me any issues. The main thing i'm not keen on with this setup is the fact that the lens doesn't lock onto the filter drawer like it would a DSLR body infact the drawer moves a bit to freely for my liking so i'm working on a fix for this at the moment as i think this was the cause of an issue i had last weekend

p.s wish i'd known you were going to sell your geoptik adapter as i would have gladly taken that off you as this is going to become a dual rig in due course :)

So guys, using this contraption can you get the Atik EFW2 filter wheel on?  I don't particularly fancy having to keep taking out the filters wrere I to build one of these!

Anton, any chance of a shopping list of the things you had to buy please?

Rgds, Steve

the EFW2 will only work in a setup like this if you go down the DIY route http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/67583-ef-atik-filter-wheel-conversion-part1/ or use older M42 lenses with an adapter, personally with my setup having seen the different focus positions for the filters having an automated wheel setup would be pointless unless you can automate focusing as well

i don't leave my kit unattened so changing filters isn't really much of an issue for me

Hi Steve,

I had the Geoptik which was a bit of a pain, as you had to detach the lens/ccd or both to change filters. Something I wouldn't want to do in the dark.

At least with this system a filter change will take a minute and require minimum fuss.

I doubt I'd get a filterwheel into this setup without some reengineering.

I think Coco's solution to adding a canon bayonet to an old filter wheel is probably the way forward for that kind of solution, and likely cheaper than the Gerd Neumann drawer system. http://stargazerslou...nversion-part1/

I had most of the bits I needed already (except the filter adapter) so this worked well for me:

1x Dovetail mount  ( I had a spare WO one like jnc's)

1x Finder Shoe Holder  €10-€20

e.g. http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2734_TS-Optics-finder-shoe--for-Vixen--Skywatcher-----with-flat-base.html

FLO have one too, but I think it was out of stock when I was looking, and the TS one has two screws and seems very solid.

1x 9x50 skywatcher guidescope + bracket + adapter for whatever camera you want to stick into it (I used a Modern Astronomy adapter for lodestar).

1x Gerd Neumann Canon filter system (built to order for your CCD with a spacer).

1x Gerd Neumann drawer (or more if you want less faffing about unscrewing filters).

The Gerd Neumann stuff cost me €159 for the canon filter system. The filter drawers were €29 each.

If you've got your own spacers you can just ask Gerd for the adapter and do your own spacing, spacers always seem expensive.

If I hadn't sold my old Atik MFW, I would have probably modded that instead.

Archived