Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Messier Hunting

kerrylewis

A dobsonian is really no bigger then the SCT so unless you went for 14" no significant step up in aperture. So really why consider a change. The 100ED seems to be a reasonable grab and go option when you don't want to set up the SCT.

Imaging, well there lies the path to insanity, and a depleted bank account.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but I agree. I bought the SCT as a step up from the 100ED and as an all-rounder and it's been just that. A dob would have to be quite big as you say to be a step up.

I am thinking of trying imaging but with my existing DSLR not with any new kit. I have an adaptor for the scopes and also a couple of longish lenses. But if I take to it, then the bank account will suffer!

Kerry

To see a really appreciable difference you want to increase aperture by 50% (giving an extra 0.9 magnitude), which for a 9.25 SCT would indeed mean going to about 14". For Messiers a 100mm scope is perfectly sufficient - if you're going to upgrade anything then think about finding a darker sky and take the small scope there.

Good luck with the Messier hunt!

C8 was my upgrade for Messier hunting :smiley: , Last night was quite successful, after good alignment (under 10' both in RA and DEC), I got M2 and M15 (just over my neightbor's roof), M110 in averted vision due to street light. Revisited double cluster and M103, and got NGC559, 654, 659, 663 and 896(with UHC filter),

Archived