Bright "star" South of Cassiopea

Davey-T

Just been out watering the garden and was gazing idly around the sky trying to decide if it was worth trying a bit of imaging and noticed what looked like a star similar in appearance and mag to Arcturus about five degrees

South of Cassiopea, watched it for a few seconds and it faded away without moving, time was about 21:15.

Anyone else see it ?

Dave

when you say south, do you mean north? (i.e. below Cass) or I suppose north east

if so then it's Capella in Auriga.

No definately not a star 'cause it was where no star should be which was why I noticed it, on a line between Shedir and Scheat, closer to Shedir.

Dave

1378330435' post='2033757']

No definately not a star 'cause it was where no star should be which was why I noticed it, on a line between Shedir and Scheat, closer to Shedir.

Dave

I reckon it was this satellite. This was where it was at 21.18, wasn't around for long, was going very fast.

post-20507-0-80600800-1378332598_thumb.j

I reckon it was this satellite. This was where it was at 21.18, wasn't around for long, was going very fast.

Could have been but watched it for about 10 secs and it didn't appear to be moving though it did fade quickly like it was being eclipsed by the Earths shadow.

Certainly in about the right spot.

Dave

Could have been but watched it for about 10 secs and it didn't appear to be moving though it did fade quickly like it was being eclipsed by the Earths shadow.

Dave

maybe the sun just happened to catch it briefly. I can't think of anything else it might have been.

1378333606' post='2033825']

Wow what app is that i like that but as i have a windows phone i bet i cant get it.

Satellite safari. I don't use it much but its interesting to use sometimes. There's various views so that satellite was actually way over the north coast of Europe at the time it was seen near Cassiopeia.

post-20507-0-48489800-1378334804_thumb.j

the white cross marks my location

Satellite safari. I don't use it much but its interesting to use sometimes. There's various views so that satellite was actually way over the north coast of Europe at the time it was seen near Cassiopeia.

post-20507-0-48489800-1378334804_thumb.j

the white cross marks my location

Thank you i will see if i can get it (doubt it ).

Archived