Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fixing the COM port used by EQDIR

JamesF

At the moment I seem to get a different COM port each time I plug the EQDIR adapter for my HEQ5. This is particularly irritating when Win7 gives me COM20 and the EQMOD config only appears to allow ports up to COM16.

Is there a way to fix the COM port assigned to a given device in WIn7 so that it always uses the same one when plugged in?

(And if so, how, obviously :)

James

Seems that it is possible to do this using the advanced settings for the device from the device manager, but Win7 still tells me that lots of com ports are in use even though none are installed at all.

Looks like it's some bizarre bit of idiocy in Win7 that tries to assign the same com port to a device each time it is connected, but can't actually adequately recognise the same device when it is connected and thus the com ports are slowly tagged as in use even when they aren't. The solution appears to require fiddling around in the registry :(

James

Archived