NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Webcam with a Dob.

simmo39

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes. I have a SW127 mak (AZ Goto) and have been using a modded Xbox webcam with it. I have had some good results with it (well for a newbie). In the near future im thinking of getting a 10 or 12 inch Dob and the question is.... Is it possible to use the web cam with the dob and still get reasonable results?

Im not after Nasa style results, just something that looks like what im seeing.

Being new to this game, whats inwards focus? Does that mean I need an extension tube?

Motion of the focuser "towards" the primary, basically. Typically the focuser drawtube will move into the telescope as focus moves inwards . As opposed to outwards focus, where the focuser moves away from the primary and the drawtube moves outwards.

James

I have an 8" Dob - and I have used the xbox modded webcam pretty succesfully. Pulled some good videos of Jupiter and its moons and even our own Moon.

The trick is to set it up so that when you start recording the video, the planet enters from the left ... keep the Dob still an watch the planet move and exit to the right.

From there you can split the video using astropipp and then finally stack in Registak or Deep Sky Stacker.

I have a write up on my website-

(I cant comment on a 10" or 12" focus that people have mentioned, but it was fine on my 8" as you will see)

Let me know if you have questions.

Archived