Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rotating OTA

What's the best way to rotate the tube when changing orientation without upsetting the balance? On the TAL I've got a Jubilee clip, but the 200P is not so solid and I'm concerned about distorting it.

Thanks

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

You could get an extra set of tube rings and attach them to the scope inside (and butting up close to) the main rings that attach to the mount. This would hold it in place when rotating the ota. You could also fit a dovetail bar between them as a useful carrying handle. There are other solutions but hope this helps :)

I followed astro-baby's approach, explained on her website (astro-baby.com) by modifying a new third correct size SW ring, and the upper ring attached to the mount, with countersunk head hinge bolts which don't clash with each other as they rub together. Fix the new ring solidly to the tube, and leave the mounting rings free to allow the tube to rotate. (I actually bought two second-hand rings on ABS, modified them both and the top mounting ring, and sold the modified spare ring and an extra bolt, to someone else who had the same problem! I also fitted two white plastic knobs to the fixed ring to make tube rotation easy to control).

Archived