Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

multiple camera recording rig

shirva

Ordered a usb 4 channel video capture dongle, for using multiple cameras on a video rig. My idea is to have three cameras, one on my scope and one with a 6-60 zoom lens other will be a 8mm fixed lens..only need to buy another camera, thinking about another pd camera. ....Davy

The way the clouds are up here I'm hoping to capture three lots of images from the one imagining rig from different camera focal ranges and apertures of the same target ...the idea is to try it out and report findings and if good enough try for permanent fixed cameras on motorized pan n tilt brackets instead of having an observitory. ..Davy

Im planning on putting together a diagram of this sort of video setup. I would think my laptop could not cope with 4 way cams, frame grabbing software and stellarium at the same time.

would be good to see ideas on this, if it could be a rolling document it could develop into a good remote setup. Carl

Seems a good idea,, I have an xp laptop and a Windows seven laptop and a basestation running seven too.so covered computer wise,, waiting to see how the four channel capture runs before making any more plans..I have three cameras to test it with...hopefully will all view and record at once.....knowing my luck will be waste of time.....still its in motion n someone has to be first to try lol...Davy

Here are my initial thoughts using one PC to frame grab from EP cam whilst running stellarium. It does'nt take wireless into account. The 12 Volt source placed at scope to minimise cable run.

As the power to cams would be supplied at the scope Im wondering if a single Cat 6, 3 twisted pair could carry the three signals from the cams down one cable without interference?

Feel free to rip the diagram apart :grin:

post-30085-0-31542700-1378201124_thumb.j

That is the very badger, Chris, that will automatically cut three cam coax leads out of the system. Also if the box was attached to the scope it means there is only one moving lead when the scope is moving (a whole lot tidier at the scope end which was one of my concerns).

It should be possible to use a single cat 6 to add a control pad for a PD or Sammy and the focusser? My theory is that the only cam you would need to use the menu on is the EP one. The rest should be set to their relative intergrations without being adjusted.

Cheers Carl

Gave up on cosy when my astroshed turned into an avairy..I'm going to stick to rca cables for testing purposes. .my mount is eqtooth controlled ,, focusser control will be rc ...will have a central box splitting power to cams and mount. Then three cables to usb capture. ..not having a finder cam...going old school with findescope and mk1 eyeballs, my three cameras are for capture ...point eq3/2 at target line up finder for reference and set main camera settings and record....boabs yer uncle.

I do have a bit of circumspection (so do others?) re. baluns plus CAT5/6 for multiple video signals.

But guinea pigs are welcome. :D

I do know that running (pulse width modulated) focus control along the power line part of a CHEAP

*combination* security cable gave horrendous barring on the screen. I have a feeling us VIDEO-ists

(with our dark screens) are quite sensitive to *any* electrical interference... ;)

I do have a bit of circumspection (so do others?) re. baluns plus CAT5/6 for multiple video signals.

But guinea pigs are welcome. :D

I do know that running (pulse width modulated) focus control along the power line part of a CHEAP

*combination* security cable gave horrendous barring on the screen. I have a feeling us VIDEO-ists

(with our dark screens) are quite sensitive to *any* electrical interference... ;)

Believe it or not cat 6 is a lot more resilient to interference than coax and losses are minimal over long distances. The key is cat 6 is balanced in the form of twisted pairs, coax is unbalanced hence the reason for the balun (short for BALanced to UNbalanced) they should work fine, the only thing is balanced line dosnt like being run along side lots of metal :grin:

Been let down with my four channel usb video grabber I ordered told the guy to refund the money. ..so ordered another from a different ebayer at a 1/4 0f the price cost under six pounds delivered. ..here's hoping I get it soon..pd1 fitted to the ed80 checked settings. ...now please give me clear skies. .....Davy

Archived