Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 1100D or 600D

Druzzel

Hi everyone. I'm just getting into astrophotography and was looking to buy a DSLR. I've been looking at both the D1100 and the D600. Now as a beginner is it actually worth me spending the extra £150 on the D600, will I actually notice any real appreciable difference over the D1100. Grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Haha i was a bit confused there :huh: i thought you were talking about Nikon cameras in your post which went against the title. Its the placement of the 'D' that threw me off :grin:

Anyway, this is a tough one. The 600D has that sexy flip out screen which gives it the edge straight away. It also has 17.9 mega pixel over the 1100D 12.2mp, but this doesn't matter unless you are printing your images out large.

Now the 1100D has almost double the battery life of the 600D which straight away is important if you are imaging for long periods, especially if its cold. It's also lighter which is good if you ever plan on putting it on a scope!

The only thing that would make me go for the 600D is the variable screen, it always draws me in. But if you want to save a bit of money, the 1100D is a great DSLR to get started with. To be honest it is probably better suited for astro work, but i dont know what kind of imaging you will be doing so the decision is yours!

Heres a great comaprison - http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Canon-600d

Well I have just bought the 1100D today and although I haven't used it for AP work yet I have to say this is a really nice entry camera, the quality of the image is great and has some neat little tricks on the electronics, I feel it very intuitive to use so if you're like me a novice at all these sports then you will find it easy to pick up and start enjoying it straight away :grin: here's one from this afternoon post-30745-0-97053200-1377882423_thumb.j

Hi there i use the 600d works brill i upgraded from the 1100 to be honest the batt life is the same and i brought a power suply for mine as when its cold the batts die quick about 30 x 5 mins and the batt light was flashing so get a psu they about 18 quid of amazon and theres no prob

i removed the filter my self and is easy to do as above live view is ok and the screen flips ect i prefer the 600d

pat

Ps if you have any type of light pol a good quilty filter is in order a idas or similar do not be fooled by the cheap sky watcher ones i made hat mistake never again the idas one is great i love it and as with all dslr and imaging plenty of good flats bias ect

cheers pat

Hi everyone. I'm just getting into astrophotography and was looking to buy a DSLR. I've been looking at both the D1100 and the D600. Now as a beginner is it actually worth me spending the extra £150 on the D600, will I actually notice any real appreciable difference over the D1100. Grateful for any advice. Than i ahave ks.

Hi,

I can only tell you what I have and how they compare to the others. I have a 1000d modded and supposed to be a Badder conversion. I bought it second hand from a reputable dealer on ebay, I am not convinced. I have seen captures from 1100d, even unmodded with noise level in another world from my 1000d., so if you want a DSLR at a reasonable price then get an 1100d not 1000d. I am not convinced either that the exrra resolution of the 600d or others have any real benefit for astroimaging. I also have a couple of cooled CCDs, they are expensive but in a totally different ball game. You get what you pay for in this game.

Regards,

A.G

1377909392' post='2029373']

Hi,

I can only tell you what I have and how they compare to the others. I have a 1000d modded and supposed to be a Badder conversion. I bought it second hand from a reputable dealer on ebay, I am not convinced. I have seen captures from 1100d, even unmodded with noise level in another world from my 1000d., so if you want a DSLR at a reasonable price then get an 1100d not 1000d. I am not convinced either that the exrra resolution of the 600d or others have any real benefit for astroimaging. I also have a couple of cooled CCDs, they are expensive but in a totally different ball game. You get what you pay for in this game.

Regards,

A.G

that makes no sense apart from you letting us no you have "a cooled ccd"

Hi,

Regards,

A.G

I have a 1000D and an 1100D, both unmodded. I much prefer the 1000D for AP and use the 1100D for normal photography (mainly macro photography in a laboratory at work rather than walkabout shots). Of the two cameras, the 1000D seems to give me lower noise and more colour depth with smaller file sizes, and has mirror lock-up facility, (which is useful for straight lunar shots not so much for long exposure DSO). Having a camera modded usually gives a big increase in red noise along with the extra Ha sensitivity. The newer cameras (450D on) seem to be much more Ha sensitive than older models (I have used 300D & a modded 350D). So much so that I decided not to bother getting the 1000D modded. The extra noise and processing hassle just didn't seem worth it.

I also now mainly use a mono CCD and it there is no comparison to DSLR. Much more sensitive, much lower noise, much easier to process.

I have a 1000D and an 1100D, both unmodded. I much prefer the 1000D for AP and use the 1100D for normal photography (mainly macro photography in a laboratory at work rather than walkabout shots). Of the two cameras, the 1000D seems to give me lower noise and more colour depth with smaller file sizes, and has mirror lock-up facility, (which is useful for straight lunar shots not so much for long exposure DSO). Having a camera modded usually gives a big increase in red noise along with the extra Ha sensitivity. The newer cameras (450D on) seem to be much more Ha sensitive than older models (I have used 300D & a modded 350D). So much so that I decided not to bother getting the 1000D modded. The extra noise and processing hassle just didn't seem worth it.

I also now mainly use a mono CCD and it there is no comparison to DSLR. Much more sensitive, much lower noise, much easier to process.

Hi,

I can only comment on what I have and the results that I get from my cameras. My 1000d is very noisy even @800asa, there appears to be much better results obtained by others with 1100 d @1600 asa than I seem to get with my 1000D @ 800 asa. If the 60d has the same noise performance as the 1100 then it would be a fine camera. The other point to consider is that if a DSLR is used for both normal photograhy and astroimaging then £600+ maybe justified but as the price increases ( for astroimaging camera ) then something like a QHY8L becomes a viable option.

A.G

Hi,

I can only comment on what I have and the results that I get from my cameras.

That's all any of us can do :)

AP seems to be so far removed from conventional daytime photography that differences between individual cameras (rather than camera models) and how they are used become more apparent.

That's all any of us can do :)

AP seems to be so far removed from conventional daytime photography that differences between individual cameras (rather than camera models) and how they are used become more apparent.

Hi,

I think it is better if the OP could have a read of the comprehensive tests done and posted in the attached link, it will answer a lot of the questions and could help him/her make a decision. BTW a modded camera only has an increase in sensitivity to the red part of the spectrum by about 20~35% , I have seen claims that an increase of 300~400% could be achieved, this is not true.

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/T3iReview/T3iReview.html

Regards,

A.G

Archived