Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with processing please?

m37

Hi guys

Just wondered if anyone could suggest any improvements please if I let you know what process I used.

This is M33 from the other night and is the best I could manage. 97 x 30 second light frames @ ISO 1600 (alt az so that's my limit), 23 darks (capped, same settings), bias (1/5000 at ISO 1600), no flat frames because I'm an idiot and forgot to do them.

post-31053-0-65022500-1377795053_thumb.p

Stacked in DSS using suggested settings, lights = kappa sigma mode, darks = median kappa sigma, bias = median kappa sigma, 50 star align, no drizzle.

In Photoshop I worked on R,G and B channels separately. I brought each dark point up to just below the start of the histogram, then white point down to where it looked like more detail was being brought out without oversaturating, then moved the grey point down until detail started to be lost. Then whacked up the saturation a bit.

In case the original would help, here's just the centre of it (to reduce file size).

m33 help.tif

cheers, you rule.

There is color data in the file, but it's very faint and you need to boost the saturation in PS to get the colors back. I think the only misstake you've done in DSS, is to forget to put the saturation to +15-20 after stacking.

It's not too much data to go on in the file it seems, but i gave it a quick go in PS. I'm not very good at processing yet though, so others probably might bet much better results.

post-9520-0-80974200-1378418131_thumb.pn

I had more joy with the png. I've played with the levels and curves to the point of overstretching plus a soft gradient removal from Noels actions.

I've used vibrance more than saturation as it tends to bring the colour up without so much noise.

post-11568-0-64777400-1378482768_thumb.p

Thanks guys. I save the settings as applied and another copy as embedded. Just checked back over my workflow for this one (I save copies after each of the major changes while I'm learning) and I don't think I upped the saturation as you suggested. I normally go to 16.

I'm going to have another crack and I'll post the difference up here.

cheers again

Christoph

Archived