Lunar Image - 21082013 Milton Keynes

nCognito

Hi,

My first post.. :smiley:

Full moon, taken from Milton Keynes on 21 August 2013, using an AstroTrac on Lunar tracking, ED80 (f/7.5, FL600mm) and unmodified Canon T3i. ISO 200, 1/200S, Baader contrast booster

Processed in Pixinsight to increase contrast and reduce glare, this has left some linear artefacts but at this scale its OK.

9592666984_57d607f21a.jpg

21082013-Moon-80mm FL600mm f7.5 Orion ED80-iso200-200'th s-Baader Contrast Booster Filter-Canon T3i unmodified_3

That's a lovely result from a single frame ... :laugh:

Looks like the artifacts may be from shooting in JPEG format , would recommend always shooting in RAW to get the best from the camera.

The next step to getting more detail would be shooting a set of say 100 frames and 'stacking' them to reduce the noise and enhance the details.

There's a very good tutorial here somewhere , I'll try and find it for you . . . :smiley:

Thanks for the tips, I will give it a go the next time I have a full moon and a clear night. BTW, you are right about some of the artefacts being due to the jpg conversion, the original RAW image is better.

Archived