NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera and scope.

Like Earl said, you need to detail what you plan to take photos of. Plus its native speed is quite slow, so a focal reducer would be a must.

But to be truthful, it may be a case of right camera - wrong telescope or vice versa (as you cant bin a DSLR to get around oversampling). Depending on what youre imaging of course :)

Hi The trouble with the Meade LX200 is that it is not an equitorial mount, therefore the scope does not follow the sky in a true arc. It suffers from whats called field rotation. The only way around this is to get a wedge which makes the scope only use the RA motor, the next problem even with a wedge is to get proper polar alignment, if this is not done any long exposures make stars look like sausages.

My suggestion is to buy a book called Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards. I think First Light Optics (FLO) stock this. This book goes through all the various set-ups and explains the pit falls or eadh, so you can make an informed decision on not only camera types but the relative merits of different scopes imaging set ups and web cam combinations.

Dave

I tried imaging with this scope and gave up on it. It is fraught with difficulties and despite the vast number of LX200s out there we see pretty well no DS images at all posted with these scopes. There is a reason for that. Just run down the DS imaging board for the last ten pages or so. Or the last hundred if you can be bothered.

You risk throwing money at a wedge, balancing accessories, aftermarket focusers, focal reducers, spacers, adapters... and getting zilch by way of decent images. I'm speaking from experience. I just wish I had never set out down that road because the moment I started using a small refractor on an NEQ6 everything started to work and I could begin to learn about imaging. Ian King told me all this before I started spending on the LX200 and I should have listened. I can only repeat his advice.

I now do this for a living and I like kit that works. The LX200 doesn't work - in my experience. You will find a very small number of people who could get it to work and a much larger number who couldn't. You have to decide whether you think you would belong to the first or the second group.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

Archived