Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CCD Stack2

Herrman

Hi,

I downloaded the trial version of CCDS Stack 2 and experimented with a bit before the trial period ended. It seemed pretty good, but I'd be interested to hear if any of you have used it extensively, and how you rate it?

All thoughts and advice will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Herrman

Hi Herman,

It seems a popular program in the states but I've not heard much about it over here. I tried it out and found it very labour intensive. If you so wish you can calibrate almost pixel by pixel, sub by sub. Although I followed the instructions to the letter, a number of times, I found other stacking software seemed to do a better job ! Must be me.

The decon routine on the other hand is the best I've tried.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, I agree; the calibration/stacking process is very time consuming, but I did find I got more consistent results than when using DSS. This has tempted me to make a purchase, but it's not a cheep package, so I thought I'd if others had worked extensively with it. I see there's a new version of Nebulosity available, it's a lot cheaper than CCDStack, so I'll check this out before taking the plunge!

Thanks again, Herrman

Hi again Herrman,

I've just noticed that I spelt your name wrong. I do apologise.

It's a good idea to test all the available software you can. I started with and stuck to Maxim because I got it with a camera purchase and then upgraded. One danger is of course that you can get bogged down with trying to learn a new system in the available trial period.

Good luck,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your message. Yes, that's sound advice.

I've looked at MaxIm, and studied the guides that have been running in Astronomy Now over recent months. Very impressive, versatile package. I'm tempted to download the trial version and use the magazine guides to get to grips with it, but as you say; it's possible to get bogged down trying out too many different packages!

All the best, Herrman

Archived