Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Registax & *.tif images

Hi, I'm just starting with image processing. I processed 3 Jpeg lunar full disc images from my DSLR through PIPP, I'd roughly pre-cropped them, and got 3 tif images (each about 7mp) in the output file, nicely cropped and centred. I thought I would be able to just drop these into Registax (latest version) except that when I select the tif frames and load them, all Registax shows is a white screen. It registers that it has three frames but it won't do the align process presumably because it thinks it's just got a white image and there's nothing there to align. Any pointers muchly appreciated.

Because you are starting with JPEG files, PIPP is generating 8-bit TIFF files (not 16-bit). I just tested this and RegiStax does not like 8-bit TIFF files, at least the ones that PIPP produces anyway. To get around this change the output format to BMP and RegiStax should be happy with the generated files.

I shall check if there is an issue with PIPP's 8-bit TIFF files or a problem with RegiStax.

Cheers,

Chris

I just ran some tests and it looks like RegiStax does not like 8-bit TIFF files generated by Photoshop either, so the problem looks to be with RegiStax rather than PIPP. Outputting the images from PIPP in BMP format should work round the problem though.

Well you would say that . . . :p

Must give it a try myself , I tend to shoot in sets of 50 frames in separate folders and process into TIFFs as I go so as not to waste time waiting later , as DPP is open when shooting anyway it just makes life easier for a Luddite like me to keep track . . . :grin: , at the end of a session I'll have just one set to deal with and this is processed as I'm running through the earlier sets selecting the best frames to stack.

I know that both Uncle Reg and PIPP do quality selection/sorting but I still prefer to do that grading by eye . . . :rolleyes:

Well you would say that . . . :p

LOL :grin:

I use PIPP to convert the RAW images to monochrome, crop around the solar disc to remove the background and save as TIFFs. I usually leave PIPP to do its thing while I pack up my kit or make a cup of tea.

I don't usually use PIPP's (local contrast) quality estimation for this type of imaging but if there is any cloud about I do get PIPP to reorder the images by total brightness to make the manual job of rejecting the cloud affected frames easier.

Cheers,

Chris

Unfortunately that idea is still just an entry in my to-do list. PIPP's development has somewhat stalled over the summer because the nice weather has had me outside doing stuff rather than sitting inside with my computer.

As I typed that the rain started beating down, maybe that is a sign...

Just started here too , no great surprise there .... :p

Was looking a little brighter over your way 20 mins ago , was almost getting excited til I popped Sat24 on screen ... :rolleyes:

Here's hoping for some blue tomorrow afternoon for a go at the big new spot ... :laugh:

Archived