NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Day Light

riggers69

Hi all just thought id share my very fist pic i took a few hours ago using my celestron nexstar 127, a 25 mm eyepiece, a homemade solar filter with badaar solar filter and a iphone 5 lol.

IMG_0553_zps194ddc2d.jpg

I suppose i should think about getting some filters next eh?

Chris

I think that's pretty good for a mobile phone camera. If you have a DSLR then next I'd think about fitting it to the back of the Mak and taking lots of images to stack :)

James

unfortunatley i only have a bridge camera with a fixed lense, so at the moment i cant see a way of attaching the camera to the scope without some spectacular mounting bracket.

I was thinking about a webcam route instead but unsure if the same methods used during night viewing would be the same during the day.

Thanks for the comments guys :laugh:

To get an image of the Sun in a single frame you really need a large camera sensor with the 127. I use my Skywatcher 127 Mak (basically the same scope) with a DSLR and the image almost entirely fills the sensor (as does the Moon). A webcam has a much smaller sensor and is more suited to imaging individual sunspots (or lunar craters) with this scope. If the lens on your camera is fixed then I guess you're pretty much stuck with afocal imaging such as you're already doing for the Sun and Moon.

A suitable webcam would be fine for planetary imaging however, because the targets are so much smaller.

James

Archived