Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 150PL touching tripod legs

I put this question in the 150PL owners thread originally but I don't think anyone reads that any more so here goes again (mods feel free to move this if in the wrong forum).

I've had my scope about a month and really pleased with it. Got all the basics sorted with alignment and the Synscan GOTO on the EQ3 Pro working fine but I've found occasionally when selecting an object around the Zenith the scope will touch the tripod legs on it's motorised journey around the mount and potentially get stuck if I don't quickly hit the 'Escape' key first on the Synscan keypad before it touches.

I can't see any way to avoid this so looking for ideas?

I don't think I can push the scope any further up through the rings as I feel like I've got it balanced pretty well as it is. It's only a very occasional problem so far but I was just wondering if this is a normal thing for a longer scope like the 150PL (1200cm)? Will setting elevation limits on the Synscan handset help with this or hinder things further?

Any advice from people who've had similar problems with the same scope or other scopes would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

A pillar is the obvious fix as has been said. If you're up to making one yourself it should be a doddle. They seem expensive to buy for what they are to me though. You could potentially push the scope through the rings a little more if you then added some weight to the primary end to counterbalance it, but I'm not sure how far I'd dare go with a 150PL on the EQ3-2.

James

Thanks for the replies. I suspected hitting the legs occasionally was normal for a telescope the length of a 150PL. I was just double checking there was nothing wrong with my setup really.

I think I'll look into the homebuilt pillar if it really annoys me but for now I think I can live with it.

Cheers

Rob

Archived